Services Tier

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

elavenil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Services Tier

Post by elavenil »

Hi DataStage Gurus,

We are in the process of upgrading DS 8.5 to DS 9.1. Our current architecture is single services & Metadata tier and multiple engine tiers (one per region). All engine tiers are referrring to single services tier configured in a separate LPAR.

I would like to understand the below questions.

1. Two versions of services tier can be deployed into a single LPAR?
2. Higher version of Services tier (for eg. 9.1 services tier) supporting to multiple versions of engine tiers (for eg. Engine tier 8.5 in a LPAR and 9.1 in another LPAR)

Points to be considered / taken care while implementing any one of the above approaches for DS upgrade.

Appreciate it if you could share your expertise ideas / lessons learnt if you had done similar upgrade.

Thanks & Regards
Elavenil
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

The answer to question 2 is no. You would not even be able to register an older version of the DataStage engine to a later version of the Services tier. Also, 9.1 and 8.5 do not support the same versions of WAS.

The answer to question 1 is maybe. You could possibly do it with two completely separate installations of WAS.

Refer to the IS 9.1 Migration guide for additional information.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
elavenil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by elavenil »

Thanks James for your quick response on this.

Point noted.

I will explore the question no.1 to conclude whether it is possible to do that.

I will share the info once it is tested.

Thanks for sharing URL for 9.1 migration.

Regards
Elavenil