DSParam and DSEnv file

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sharmabhavesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

DSParam and DSEnv file

Post by sharmabhavesh »

We are starting with a new data migration project. In the meanwhile, I have been asked to create DSParam file.
I am not sure what exactly is the difference between DSParam and DSEnv file. Tried searching but didn't get anything worthwhile. Can anyone please help?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

DSparam is automatically created for you. So what exactly have you been tasked with? Do you have an existing project they want you to transfer DSParam information from?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sharmabhavesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sharmabhavesh »

Thanks Chulett
Actually niether me nor my manager knows much about Datastage :P:P. So he asked me to find out how DSParam file is created. Now you have answered to the creation part.
I am now curious to know if DSParam file is different from DSEnv file. If yes, how?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Well, you could look at them. Incidentally, there is no file called DSParam (it's called DSParams).

There is one dsenv file. It resides in the DSEngine directory and, primarily, sets up environment variables globally for all DataStage processes.

There is one DSParams file for each project. It resides in the project directory and stores settings - including environment variables - created in the DataStage and QualityStage Administrator client.

If an environment variable exists in both locations, the value in DSParams takes precedence.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.