Restartability of Sequences that has subsequences

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Restartability of Sequences that has subsequences

Post by jreddy »

I have a sequence calling another sequence that calls 4 jobs (with dependencies). Both the sequences are set up as restartable. When one of the jobs fails, both the sequences have the 'Aborted/Restartable' state. When I fix the issue with the aborted job and just Run the outer sequence, it seems to start at the point of failure, but the inner sequence (that calls the 4 jobs) ends with a 'Finished with warnings' even if the jobs all execute successfully when restart. Any idea how we can avoid that ?

I have all the 4 checkboxes set for both the outer and inner sequences - Add checkpoints so sequence is restartable on failure, automatically handle activities that fail, log warnings after activities that finish with status other than OK, log report messages after each job run
Last edited by jreddy on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What does the log for the inner sequence job show after a restart? I would think it would have whatever 'warnings' were logged that caused it to finish with warnings in spite of it successfully running to completion.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

The inner sequence had warnings in the first run, but when restarted, it says 'Sequence being restarted after failure.. skipped job 1, skipped job 2, reset job 3 and successfully completed job 3 followed by a successful completion of job 4. No warnings at all in the part of the log when restarted, but still the status on the sequence is 'Finished with warnings'
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That may just be The Way It Works and you may want to ping your official support provider for clarification on that point. Curious what others think...
-craig

jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

Then I would wonder how restartability works when we have sequences within sequences.. because if the subsequence when restarted finishes with a status of 'Finished with warnings', it will not proceed to next steps..
max.madsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by max.madsen »

The sequences use parameters?
How are you running sequencers? By Designer or Director?
jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

Yes there are parameters. I am running from Director
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

jreddy wrote:Then I would wonder how restartability works when we have sequences within sequences..
Sorry but isn't that exactly what we're talking about here? Sequences within sequences? :?
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

jreddy wrote:The inner sequence had warnings in the first run
Are you saying that one or both of the skipped jobs had warnings when they ran? Then job3 aborted, the sequence was restarted and then jobs 3 and 4 completed without warnings?

Just trying to ensure we're seeing the complete picture here.
-craig

jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

When restarted, there are no warnings at all in the log for skipped jobs and jobs that executed successfully within the subsequence, however the sub sequence ends with a status of 'Finished with warnings'

I have all the 4 checkboxes set for both the master sequence and subsequence (Add checkpoints so sequence is restartable on failure, automatically handle activities that fail, log warnings after activities that finish with status other than OK, log report messages after each job run)

I tried with the options 'log warnings after activities that finish with status other than OK, log report messages after each job run' both turned off and still have the same behavior
jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

First Run:
Job 1,2 in subsequence executed fine, job 3 aborted
Subsequence now in Aborted/Restartable state
Master sequence now in Aborted/Restartable state

Then I fix the issue causing job 3 to abort

Second Run:
Just RUN the master sequence
Master sequence starts up, calls the subsequence
Job 1,2 skipped, Job 3 and Job 4 execute fine
Subsequence ends with a 'Finished with warnings' status, so the next activities within master sequence are not started, and the master sequence ends with a 'Finished with warnings' status as well
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You need to put this in front of your official support provider and see what they say about the behaviour. It doesn't sound right or like anything I recall seeing or experiencing in the past.

For completeness, what exact 8.x version are you running? Are you current on fixpacks?
-craig