Problem with DataStage logs and how to clear them

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Problem with DataStage logs and how to clear them

Post by hsahay »

Problem:
I have a Master_Sequence with jobs A,B,C as follows..

Master_Sequence:A-->B-->C

My sequence and jobs with in the sequence, run 50 times a day in parallel with different invocation ID's.

Logs will be created as follows.

Master_Sequence.1
Master_Sequence.2
Master_Sequence.3
Master_Sequence.50

Similarly for jobs as follows..

A.1
A.2
A.50

...and similarly for all other jobs..

Its been happening for a while and now I cannot open the director to see the logs as it hangs up because of too much of log.

I know we have options to clear the log of a job till last run, but the log created is with different invocation ID's and I think I cannot use
that option, as the log of the each job is with different invocation ID and each is seperated (treated as different..)

Please let me know

a. the folder where to go to clear the log
b. clear the job log irrespective of invocation ID starting from certain time to time.
c. How to clear the log.

Thanks.
BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BI-RMA »

Choose the entry for the original job in Director - the one without invocation ID - and set an AutoPurge-Option that suits your needs (either in days or in number of previous runs).

This effects the logs behind all invocation IDs.
"It is not the lucky ones are grateful.
There are the grateful those are happy." Francis Bacon
hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hsahay »

Thanks for the reply.

I cannot even the director to set options. I believe the log is so huge and my director hangs up(Not Responding). Please let me if there are any alternative approaches.

Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That depends entirely on where your logs are stored, which is dependant on the RT v. OR logging as noted here amongst other posts. Assuming you have "RT" logging enabled, then you need to determine the job number associated with the job in question and you can then issue a CLEAR.FILE for that particular RT_LOGnnn hashed file.

Off the top of my head, this should get it for you:

Code: Select all

SELECT JOBNO FROM DS_JOBS WHERE NAME = 'YourJobName'
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Remove the entries for a particular invocation from the RT_STATUSnnn table. This will allow the entries for that instance to be removed from the RT_LOGnnn table, which should occur automatically.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Is modifying RT_STATUS**** & RT_LOGnnnn safe with version 8.x ?

I think so , but does metadata DB/xmeta store anything ( assuming operational metadata is not imported)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes it's safe.

Operational metadata is managed in an entirely different way - you have to run a command to import them into XMETA.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.