Create One Project or Multiple Projects?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Create One Project or Multiple Projects?

Post by nvalia »

Hi,

We have installed IBM Information Server 8.7 on a Windows Environment are all set with the Datastage Client Installs as well.

I am aware of the design and development best practices, but seeking help more on initial set up and/or admin side.

So before we start development, I would like to undertstand are there specific best practices around creating projects,
as in create 1 project only or create a project per Data Mart load? (we have a few)
Will having more projects make it difficult/easy when deploying between env?
level of difficulty in maintaning more projects against 1?
and so on

Any help/info would be very helpful

Thanks,
NV
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Create Datastage Project or Projects

Post by SURA »

You have pros and cons in both side.

If you create a project, easy to maintain , migrate and create dependency etc.

If it is separate and if it is not dependent, then one will not affect the other.

Again it is an architecture decision based on the need?
Thanks
Ram
----------------------------------
Revealing your ignorance is fine, because you get a chance to learn.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

I recommend that most of my clients create projects based upon security requirements. If there are separate groups of developers (usually departmental) that shouldn't have access to jobs created by other groups, then you definitely need separate projects for those groups. This can also be driven by budgetary reasons - I've had managers who wanted separate projects so they could easily tell how many jobs "their group" was supporting.

Sometimes this also can be required for data security concerns. I have clients that transfer sensitive, restricted data using DataStage jobs. They always keep these in separate projects with access limited to the specific developer that maintains those jobs.

If there are no security requirements, then it is definitely easier to use one project with multiple folders to organize work. The positive side of this is that maintenance is usually easier and sharing objects (like table definitions, jobs, etc.) is trivial. However, the negative aspect is the "all your eggs in one basket" problem. If the project is corrupted, it could disrupt all the developers (or production) while it is being resolved.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nvalia »

Yes this makes perfect sense ..
Thanks for your response..