Parameter Set's value in Unix shell script

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

brupun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Parameter Set's value in Unix shell script

Post by brupun »

Hi,

I'm executing a SQL statement in Unix shell script, which in turn calls a Datastage job. I want to connect to Db2 using login field values from Parameter set's environment variables. These environment variables have default value as $PROJDEF. I want to capture their value stored in a specific value file. Is it possible to extract these values in Unix shell script?
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Sure, it can be done.

Since you are dealing with $PROJDEF, you'll have to retrieve the value from DSParams. Note that if the type is encrypted string (typical for database passwords), you will have to find a method to decrypt the string.

Mike
brupun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by brupun »

Thanks for responding. How do I retrieve the value from DSParams in shell script? I'm not familliar with that.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

It's just a text file... use whatever scripting technique you're familiar with (e.g. grep/cut).

Mike
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Almost forgot...

There's also a nice little command available (forget which version it first appeared).

Code: Select all

dsadmin -listenv MYPROJECT
Mike
brupun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by brupun »

I did use this command to get other field values. Now, the challenge lies in decrypting password field values. Thanks a lot for your help.
bhasds
Participant

Post by bhasds »

Hi brupun,

For decrypting the password field values-
Use echo #Parametername# in before or after job subroutine.
The value will be reflecting in the Director log.
brupun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by brupun »

Hi bhasds,

The value displayed in the log is encrypted value for password. My requirement is that I need to use the password from environment variable and use it to connect to Db2 database in my shell script. You have any thoughts on how to achieve that?