Exception handler clarification

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Exception handler clarification

Post by zulfi123786 »

Below is and excerpt from Designer Guide:

Code: Select all

"An exception activity handles the situation where a job in the sequence fails to run
(other exceptions in the job sequence are handled by triggers)."
I have a question regarding "Fails to run" , does it mean the exception handler is triggered when the job is invoked but did not run as in the job is not compiled or is in aborted state or job does not exist etc OR does it mean the exception handler is triggered even in cases where the job start running but gets aborted (cases like file missing etc) assuming my job activity stages have no failed trigger or Executed ok with otherwise trigger. ?

I am not happy to keep a failed trigger for each job activity stage calling a common routine activity and wonder if they can be replaced with an exception handler calling the common routine (each job has only execute OK trigger).

Thanks
- Zulfi
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Exception handler clarification

Post by chulett »

zulfi123786 wrote:I have a question regarding "Fails to run" , does it mean the exception handler is triggered when the job is invoked but did not run as in the job is not compiled or is in aborted state or job does not exist etc
Yes. And (as noted) only in those circumstances.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

Thanks Craig :) both, for clarification and for moving it to new thread
- Zulfi