Disaster Recovery by taking an image of the server

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Disaster Recovery by taking an image of the server

Post by hsahay »

Hi

We have a datastage 8.1 installation on an AIX 6.1 machine which is actually a LPAR on an IBM P570 server.

We are thinking of taking an image of our server which can be dropped on another server for the purpose of disaster recovery.

Our fall back plan is to take weekly backups of the production project and when disaster hits, build a new machine, reinstall datastage on it and then import the project backups.

Any thoughts, gotchas on the subject ?
vishal
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Lots of gotchas, mainly relating to host names, IP addresses, and the resolutions thereof. These are recorded in the metadata repository, so things break if they're not in the correct location.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hsahay »

Thanks Ray but my Unix admin assures me that when he drops the image on this new server it will be the exact replica of the old server...same everything including machine name, ip address etc ...
vishal