Hyperion Essbase Pack for DS 8.1 or 8.7?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rjhankey
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hyperion Essbase Pack for DS 8.1 or 8.7?

Post by rjhankey »

I've searched the forum and have come up with a surprisingly small number of matches on the Essbase Pack for DS, how much experience is out there with installing and using this add-on for DS?

We have DS 8.1.0.0 running on AIX, and from the information I've gathered, we could install the Hyperion Essbase Pack v1.0.0 with our DS 8.1 installation. That install involves the installation of the Pack, as well as an upgrade of the DB2 Connector Patch, bringing our DB2 v9.5 to Fix Pack 3. (Does anyone know if this is a requirement for using the Essbase connector?)

The other option would be to wait until we have DS 8.7 (an upgrade effort that we have planned in the coming months), and I've heard that the Essbase Pack is included in that version of DS potentially? Is it easier or at least more recommended to have DS 8.7 installed and use the Essbase Pack v1.0.1A that is available for users of DS 8.5 or higher?

I found an Essbase Pack post from Andy Sorrell dating back to Mar 2009, I may check in with him as well and see what experience they had while using the Essbase Pack.

Thanks!
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

If you are using 64-bit clients (PC's) then I'd say you might want to wait until 8.7. The original Hyperion pack for 8.1 wasn't built for 64-bit clients and issues some minor pop-up warnings as you are trying to use it, which is annoying. That release is also extremely picky about the release of Essbase client libraries it uses, so you have to use the 11.1.1.1 version that is distributed with the install. We tried 11.1.1.2 and it didn't work until we uninstalled and used the prior dot relelase.

I'm just starting to install the next release of the Hyperion Pack on 8.7 and should be testing it in the next several days. I'll let you know how it goes.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
rjhankey
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rjhankey »

Thanks Andy -- I definitely appreciate any tips/hints/pointers as you work through the install with DS 8.7. Sounds like the Hyperion Pack isn't packaged with 8.7 either, and it's still an extra add-on install?

You're right though, we are using Windows clients to connect to the DS server running on AIX.

Hopefully the Hyperion Pack for 8.7 will still work ok with Essbase v9, that's the version we're connecting to, and don't own the Essbase data source.