Sequencer with few stage to call multiple parallel

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

smile.achieve
Participant

Sequencer with few stage to call multiple parallel

Post by smile.achieve »

I have 25 parallel jobs that need to be executed in a order. Need a suggestion where i need not add 25 stages to the Sequncer job instead pass the parallel job name to one stage and get them executed.

Ranjan
Smile :)
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to do that with different job names. If it were one job that is multi-instance then a sequece could loop through the instances, but that is not the case here.

If it is any consolation, I have a sequence right now that has over 60 different jobs and each of those has from 15-25 parameters that need to be filled in each time. It isn't a great job to fill that in, but needs to be done.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You could write your own Job Control routine. This is the old-fashioned way, and requires some skill with DataStage BASIC code, but may solve your particular problem.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Does your list of 25 jobs change? If not, just add the 25 stages to the Sequence job - what's the concern with doing that? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
smile.achieve
Participant

Post by smile.achieve »

@chulett : Yes the number of jobs could be changed. Hence i was looking for a passing job name kind of approach method.

I would appriciate if you could suggest any good method to do this?
Smile :)
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You can't do it simply in a job sequence, since call to jobs in sequences are effectively hard-coded at compile-time.

There is the command-line "dsjob -run" invocation method which you could call from within a loop in a job sequence, or you could use the DataStage API BASIC calls directly in a loop as well.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I would echo Ray's Job Control suggestion but it does involve a level of knowledge of BASIC and the API. Or as Arnd notes, script it using dsjob.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eph
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eph »

Hi,

You could check the UtilityRunJob routine which should be part of /Routines/sdk/Utility to get an idea of how you could handle this scenario.

Regards
Eric