KBA Job Control Utilities

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

haylo75
Premium Member
Premium Member

KBA Job Control Utilities

Post by haylo75 »

Hello all, I'm a pretty new DS user, but have many years coming in OO web / database development. After discovering our morass of Job Control code, I've been seeking out ways to consolidate and clean it up. I've seen many mentions of "KBA Job Control Utilities", which seems very interesting. Unfortunately, I cannot locate any distribution of said utilities either here or on Kenneth Bland's website. I saw Kenneth's last post here on DSXchange was in 2009, so perhaps he's moved on to other things. Does anyone have a line on how I can acquire KBA Job Control Utilities?

Thanks!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't recall if they were actually available for download from Ken's site, it's been way too many years since I got my hands on them. I do remember that you have to register at the site and then (perhaps) request a copy from Ken?

And I have no clue if his site is still active...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
haylo75
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by haylo75 »

Thanks for your prompt reply. I registered at Ken's site only to receive a PHP error message. Things look pretty dead over there. I found a contact email to which I sent a request for help, but I'm not holding my breath on a response. I hate to reinvent the wheel on Job Control stuff, but things are what they are.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... let me see what I might have. I know I've got a heavily augmented version that I've been using with my clients but that's not something I could share. However, I may still have the original recipe version somewhere... let me see if I can find and dig that up over the weekend.
-craig

haylo75
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by haylo75 »

I appreciate your looking, and completely understand about not being able to share the augmented version. I got a basic proof of concept working over the weekend. I'm still trying to get my head around the best way to handle job dependencies though.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Send me a PM with your email address...
-craig

haylo75
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by haylo75 »

PM sent, thanks!
The middle of every successful project looks like a disaster -- Rosabeth Moss Cantor
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

OK, it has been sent. Enjoy.

Please understand several things about this - first and foremost I'm not going to provide any support for it, I've already got enough on my plate without adding that to my resume, thankyouverymuch. :wink:

Also note that while it was written in 2003 it worked well for me all the way up to version 7.x and also into 8.1 but I can't guarantee that every aspect of it will work properly in the later releases as it relies entirely on the underlying UniVerse/DataStage Engine. The core utilities should be just fine from what I recall.

Worst case it will be an awesome example of how to roll your own. One of my "side" projects is rewritting this in Korn for use with Informatica... go me. :lol:
-craig

haylo75
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by haylo75 »

Thanks very much, Craig! Understood on support. I'm just starting to dig in, and this looks to be a nicely polished set of utilities. At minimum, I'll be able to glean some very useful information from it. Thanks again, and good luck on your ksh port!
The middle of every successful project looks like a disaster -- Rosabeth Moss Cantor