How to tell in which job a column gets loaded

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You have the 'Where Used' tool in the Manager that can help with that provided you have managed your metadata properly. However, I've also gone the route you mentioned but I took advantage of some tools over at Chuck Smith's website to make that easier. After parsing a dsx file, I loaded the output into a database table so I could use SQL to search it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BI-RMA »

In IS 8.5 the Advanced Find dialogue allows to search for items of type "Columns in jobs and Shared Containers".

I'm quite sure this option was not available in 7.5, so this won't help you a lot, I'm afraid. Probably a minor reason to migrate to a current version of datastage for shops using server edition only.
"It is not the lucky ones are grateful.
There are the grateful those are happy." Francis Bacon
Seyed
Participant

Post by Seyed »

chulett wrote:You have the 'Where Used' tool in the Manager that can help with that provided you have managed your metadata properly. However, I've also gone the route you mentioned but I took advantage of some tools over at Chuck Smith's website to make that easier. After parsing a dsx file, I loaded the output into a database table so I could use SQL to search it.
Hi Craig,
With your help and additional information that I received from Chuck, I was able to capture the information and load it into an Oracle table. Now, I can search for DataStage table information in this Oracle table.

Thank you very much for your assistance,

Seyed
Seyed
Participant

Post by Seyed »

BI-RMA wrote:In IS 8.5 the Advanced Find dialogue allows to search for items of type "Columns in jobs and Shared Containers".

I'm quite sure this option was not available in 7.5, so this won't help you a lot, I'm afraid. Probably a minor reason to migrate to a current version of datastage for shops using server edition only.
Hi Roland,
Thank you for sharing the information with me. I guess I have to wait until we upgrade to 8.5 to use the search feature. In the meantime, with help from Craig and Chuck, I have been able to resolve this issue.

Thank you and continued success,

Seyed