Question regarding CDC

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

AmeyJoshi14
Participant

Question regarding CDC

Post by AmeyJoshi14 »

Experts- I have question regarding CDC. From last couple of years I am working in Informatica; so right now I am bit confused about the CDC.
Apologies if my question is silly.

Do we have to get different package(add on) for change data capture (CDC)
in Datastage ? I know there is CDC transformation in Datastage, but is there any different package (like QualityStage) which we need to have?
I have searched and found that there is only CDC stage in Datastage that is no need to buy any other add-on for this. Is this right?

P.S :- In Informatica inorder to achive CDC we need to get add on package/license. We can't directly use CDC transformation.

Thanks in Advance!!
http://findingjobsindatastage.blogspot.com/
Theory is when you know all and nothing works. Practice is when all works and nobody knows why. In this case we have put together theory and practice: nothing works. and nobody knows why! (Albert Einstein)
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The CDC package is part of the standard delivery, nothing additional needs to be installed or purchased.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

ArndW is taking about the CDC stage and you are talking about the CDC (DATA MIRROR). That is differ and you need to buy that.

In some env they will capture the changes immediately when it happend. To do that you need that tool.
Thanks
Ram
----------------------------------
Revealing your ignorance is fine, because you get a chance to learn.
AmeyJoshi14
Participant

Post by AmeyJoshi14 »

Thanks Sura for the clarification.

So for capturing change data (immediately/directly) from the source database we need to purchase InfoSphere CDC, which will capture the changes as they happen and delivers them to target databases.

Datastage CDC stage won't be helpful for this. :shock:

Thanks again for all the help!
http://findingjobsindatastage.blogspot.com/
Theory is when you know all and nothing works. Practice is when all works and nobody knows why. In this case we have put together theory and practice: nothing works. and nobody knows why! (Albert Einstein)
cppwiz
Participant

Post by cppwiz »

Please note there are two separate products from IBM depending on your needs:

1) Change Data Capture - intended as a stand-alone product for transferring data from the source database to the target database

2) Change Data Delivery - intended to be used with DataStage for transferring data from the source database into a DataStage job for additional processing

http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bi ... NUS210-270

Note that Informatica purchased WisdomForce last year to compete with the IBM (DataMirror) product, so both IBM and Informatica have a full-scale CDC product now. I'll save my opinion of both products for another thread...