First Process get triggers for the following product

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sekharnaskar
Premium Member
Premium Member

First Process get triggers for the following product

Post by sekharnaskar »

1) Which is the first Unix process get triggers when the DataStage Quality Stage Job get triggered. Is it "phantom DSD.RUN" ?
2) What are the other subsequent Unix process get triggered and what is the order ?
3) What are the Engines runs during the DataStage & QS - PX Job/Job Sequence execution.
Is that PX Engine and Universe. If I am in correct what are the process.
4) During server Job running what are the Engines get involved. Is it only Universe or something different.
Thanks,
Sekhar Naskar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

QualityStage jobs in version 8 run using the parallel execution engine, which runs as osh. The first process to start is the conductor process (osh) which triggers section leader processes on each node (osh) which, in turn, fork player processes (osh) on each node. The engine is the "PX engine".

Your question 4 is unrelated to QualityStage. The answer is that the DataStage server engine is involved. This is close to, but not the same as, UniVerse. However, that answer allows me to make the point for your question 3 that the DataStage server engine is not involved at all in execution of QualityStage jobs (unless you've involved a server Shared Container or a BASIC Transformer stage).

phantom DSD.RUN may get involved if you trigger the job using the dsjob command.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sekharnaskar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: First Process get triggers for the following product

Post by sekharnaskar »

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. Much more appreciated.

I am still having some questions.

1) For DS what is exact osh process name that triggers first at Conductor node. And is it the same named process which get triggers to section leader process as subsequent processes.

2) For the Quality Stage , does it follow in same way as DS process does? Means osh at conductor node first and subsequent processes.

3) For the WebSphere DS Server Jobs which is the Engine name.

4) For other Information tools like Information Analyzer, Fast Track, etc use the same engine which is used by Data Stage?

Thanking you in advance.
Thanks,
Sekhar Naskar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1) All osh processes run as osh
2) QualityStage runs DataStage jobs.
3) The Engine is the machine on which the DataStage software is installed.
4) Information Analyzer can use the same Engine or a different one.
FastTrack does not use an Engine tier at all (until generating a DataStage job).
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sekharnaskar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: First Process get triggers for the following product

Post by sekharnaskar »

Thanks a lot Ray, for your detailed answare.
May be this is the last question on this topic:

On point 3) Can we define the Engine name as "Universe". If not what is the name of ther Engine that server Jobs use? And what is the osh equevalent process runs on that ? Is that UV process ?

On point 4) If Information Analyzer use differnt engine what is the Engine name ? For Infosphere CDC also we use the same Engine as Datastage or Different one ?

Thanking you in advance.
Thanks,
Sekhar Naskar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

3) Many people do but it's technically incorrect. It's the "DataStage server engine". Usually the process that runs is dssh (DataStage shell) and it in turn runs some DataStage BASIC code such as DSD.RUN (for server jobs) or DSD.StageRun (for server Transformer stages).
4) IA jobs run as DataStage jobs, though directly from osh scripts (that is, there is no GUI component). The IA software constructs the osh scripts.
sekharnaskar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sekharnaskar »

Really it will help me for better understanding.
Thanks Ray for your detailed reply.
Thanks,
Sekhar Naskar