Reduceing Log information, exclude info entries

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mark1024
Participant

Reduceing Log information, exclude info entries

Post by mark1024 »

Guys, I got a process that is running MQ realtime from IMS to DB2.
My log files get really big, I would like datastage 8.5 to not record "info"
level entries, but I cannot figure out how to do that. The docs I was been looking at don't seam to help.

Is there a sewtting some where so that datastage only logs warning and above entires?

because client directory does not handle very logs logs. I have set
only keep 1 days worth of logs, but would like more control. Yes I know I can clear them out immediatly, with the UI, would really like it on the command line.
Mark THomas
Data Architect
IBM GBS
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Reduceing Log information, exlude info entries

Post by chulett »

mark1024 wrote:Is there a sewtting some where so that datastage only logs warning and above entires?
Not that I've ever seen, at least not generically. I'm curious though, what kind of "info" messages are you seeing? Perhaps there is some kind of a "logging level" property in the MQ stage that could affect this - if that's where they are coming from.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

In Parallel jobs you can use the message handler, either at a job or at a project level, to "deprecate" or suppress messages. In your Director, point to a message that offends you and right-mouse-click then choose "add rule to message handler". Note that this is an all-or-nothing type thing per message type.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So... "deprecate" as in not even log them? I thought the message handlers were all about demoting them from one alert level to a lower one rather than saying "don't even bother to write these to the log".
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

One of the options is to "suppress" messages and not even log them at all. Unfortunately, it is also the default option for job level messages so can be a bit of a problem when all you want to do is make warnings into informational messages.