DS 7.5 server to DS 7.5 PX

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vikas gupta
Participant

DS 7.5 server to DS 7.5 PX

Post by vikas gupta »

HI,

I want to know that Oracle database table updating thru server 7.5 text file (Around 10 lakh records) is taking 1hrs 10minutes while same file updating thru PX 7.5 is taking only 16 minutes.
I want to know that why PX updating is fast against server.

Regards

Vikas Gupta
vamsi.4a6
Participant

Post by vamsi.4a6 »

1)Due to Partition and parallelisms in Parallel Jobs which is not available in Server Jobs
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

PX jobs are faster than server jobs when writing to most databases - that is why IBM wants customers to move to the parallel platform. There are two things making it faster 1) the new Database connectors are much faster than the old Server Job database stages. 2) parallelism can provide massive improvements in database read and write times.

I ran some performance tests a few years ago and found that even if you remove the parallelism from DataStage jobs and run them on a single node they still perform many times faster than Server jobs:
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/infosphere/ ... stats-6976

You are seeing a massive improvement and you probably haven't even tuned that job yet.