User connection issue with 8.7

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Datamine
Premium Member
Premium Member

User connection issue with 8.7

Post by Datamine »

Hi,
We've installed Datastage 8.7.
When we've declared an user in the WAS application, we've noticed that only when this user declared as administraor (!!!) , he was able to access to the Director application. Does user should be an administrator for accessing DataStgae products???

Please advice.
Malam BI
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, a user does not need to be an administrator to access the director tool.

For your user, did you fill in the "suite components" in the administrator?
nzkitanovic
Participant

Re: User connection issue with 8.7

Post by nzkitanovic »

Sounds like the user defined via WAS does not have the required project level privileges assigned via "IBM InfoSphere DataStage and QualityStage Administrator" interface. Administrator users do not need project level privileges explicitly assigned, that's why the user was able to log in when made as an administrator.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

To summarise:

Suite component role DataStage and QualityStage Administrator or DataStage and QualityStage User must be granted before any user can access DataStage.

Those users with DataStage and QualityStage Administrator role automatically are registered as administrator role in each DataStage and QualityStage project.

Those users with DataStage and QualityStage User role must be further granted a project role using the DataStage and QualityStage Administrator client. Possible project roles include Developer, Super Operator, Operator and Business Manager.

Over and above all that, any user needing to use DataStage or QualityStage must have Engine credentials set up.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Datamine
Premium Member
Premium Member

suite components

Post by Datamine »

I've marked all the checkbox in the suite components (WAS) for that user, and still, only when he declared as administrator , he was able to connect Datastage products...
Malam BI
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Did you even read what we wrote?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Try using the Web Console instead of the WAS Console...
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
nzkitanovic
Participant

Re: suite components

Post by nzkitanovic »

Datamine wrote:I've marked all the checkbox in the suite components (WAS) for that user, and still, only when he declared as administrator , he was able to connect Datastage products...
Datamine, using an adminstrator account log into the DataStage Adminstrator client (it's not the WAS or IS console, the icon should be close to the Designer client icon).

When you log in to the Engine, select the Projects tab, and select the required project. Click on Properties, then from the new window select the Permissions tab. From here you can Add Users or groups to the selected project. Add the user you originally tried, and give them the Developer role. That should be sufficient for that user to log into the Designer and Director clients.
Datamine
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: suite components

Post by Datamine »

Ok,I am using now the Web Console instead of the WAS Console, I've also decalred the user with the Developer role in the DataStage Administrator, and recieved the following error "Failed to authenticate the current user against the selected Serices Tier"
What is the reason for that error? to be specific, I've prepared a Word document with all the user's declaration (Print screens). Can anyone supply an Email to send this document for comparing the definitios?
Malam BI
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Since datamine has opened as a new thread *here* we'll close this one and continue on the new thread.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

There is no facility to mail to the forum or to a thread. What is easy is to post screenshots or documents to a hosting website and then refer to the URL here. Photobucket.com is a free website for hosting images and many use that to host screenshots.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ArndW wrote:Since datamine has opened as a new thread *here* we'll close this one and continue on the new thread.
Nope, sorry. Don't want to encourage that behaviour so I deleted it. Continue on here please. :wink:

Another option - Google Docs.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Craig - I realized that after I'd typed in my message and thought I'd discarded what I'd written instaed of posting it. Oopsie.
Datamine
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Datamine »

I've posted my screenshots here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LNW ... h3ias/edit

Please review this document for comparing user's definitions.

Thanks!
Malam BI
nzkitanovic
Participant

Post by nzkitanovic »

Your Services Tier is connected to an external user repository (I'm going to assume your Windows Domain Active Directory) via LDAP.
The most likely cause is that your typing in the wrong password for the selected user.
Confirm that your using the correct password for the user located in the in the OU below:

{Something}
|
+ Development
|
+ Users
|
+ {User}