Infosphere suite 8.5 tools and utilities

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bnarayan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Infosphere suite 8.5 tools and utilities

Post by bnarayan »

At my client site, we are expecting to install Infosphere information server suite of products very shortly. I am putting together a work plan to effectively make use of all these tools.

It would be helpful to know how some of them[Business glossary, FastTrack, Metadata workbench, Information Analyzer, Metadata repository, Data Architect,Quality Stage ] are connected to each other.

A diagrammatic representation of how these are connected would help.

The following is an understanding gained from reading IBM redbooks. Could anyone with practical experience VALIDATE along with any lessons learnt in implementing the suite?

Business glossary is a Web based UI used for managing and viewing glossary content that is stored in Metadata repository.

FastTrack is accessing the data from Metadata repository to create mapping specification.

Information Analyzer used to perform data quality assessment and populate the results in metadata repository.

Metadata workbench is web based tool to access data from metadata repository to mainly identify the data lineage, association between the data assets.

Thanks
Barry
Karthik.M
Participant

Additional Tools

Post by Karthik.M »

Some tools available 8.5 fixpack 1 include Schema Library Manager and Assembly Editor.

Schema Library Manager - To load XML schemas directly into Datastage.

Assembly Editor - To configure the job flow.

These tools come in hand with XML stage - a new stage available in DS 8.5 fixpack 1 or need to be purchased seperately.

Also a Connector Migration Tool is available to migrate jobs using Enterprise stages ie, to use connector stages instead of plug-in and operator stages.
Karthik.M
Analyst
Infotrellis.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Planning, Installation and Configuration Guide has a good description of how the various components of Information Server fit together; even the Quick Start Guide will give you some idea.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I have a diagram on this blog post:
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/infosphere/ ... sary-49656

Let's run through them.
- DataStage is easy, you need ETL developers who have 5-10 days training in DataStage plus an expert with 2+ years experience to guide them.
- QualityStage requires a data quality problem to solve, usually name and address standardisation, match and survive.
- Business Glossary needs an evangelist, it is a great tool for business and IT but if it doesn't have a champion and governance framework then no one will use it. Glossary is the easiest product to use but requires a great a really good pilot/PoC to get going. I recommend combining your first Glossary PoC with your first Information Analyzer DQ Rules PoC.
- Information Analyzer is the profiling tool, most people will resist using it and go back to SQL to profile because people do not like change and IA can be clunky to use. You need an expert to show you how to use it and take your data analysts through the methodology. Even if you do not use it for profiling you can use it for DQ rules so treat this as two products in one.
- FastTrack is a source to target mapping product. In my experience if you do not have an expert show you how to configure and mentor users in this tool it will almost certainly fail to get any traction. It can generate DataStage jobs but only if it is configured correctly and if you have good DataStage standards in place. The trick to FastTrack is identifying the right users and use cases. DataStage developers tend to dislike it but it is more for power business users or data analysts who cannot use DataStage.
- Metadata workbench and Metadata Asset Manager are the metadata lineage and impact analysis tool. Odds are that without a mentor or expert you will struggle to get the import bridges and stitching working and not get the full value out of this combination.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I should also point out that you are mad installing 8.5 when 8.7 has been available for months. 8.7 has a superior Business Glossary, less defects across all products and the new Metadata Asset Manager and new wizards for QualityStage. I wouldn't bother with 8.5.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, to be fair the original post (which was resurrected) is from 2011. October 2011, so only eight months ago but still... :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

It would be interesting to know how Barry went! Barry, are you still there? How is your Information Server?