Testing for upgrading Datastage from 7.5 to 8.7

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

blitz76
Participant

Testing for upgrading Datastage from 7.5 to 8.7

Post by blitz76 »

We will be upgrading from v7.5.2 to IBM InfoSphere Information Server Datastage v8.7
Would like to get some thoughts about how,rather what should be tested to get a confidence that the upgrade has been successful.

Some thoughts
1)The first check is that we ensure that all the jobs can complete successfully.
2)Is there a need to do kind of data testing?.After all, no logic is being changed.

Warm regards
Ameet
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

In any kind of upgrade situation you should ALWAYS consider performing some data testing to verify that the output from your new environment matches that from your old environment. This is especially true considering that you are upgrading across several versions of DataStage (from 7.5 to 8.7).

I would recommend that you prepare a set of controlled data and a set of controlled steps with which you can perform identical runs in both environments and compare the results using your method of choice (and you should do more than just compare record counts).

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

I'm in the middle of testing for the very same "jump", and I performed end-to-end parallel testing including verifying that the output data was valid and accurate after the "hand-off" to the destination application.

From my POV (and the rest of my shop) nothing less is acceptable.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872