Parameter not picked up by job

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pqrabc
Participant

Parameter not picked up by job

Post by pqrabc »

In one of our Sequencer we have 3 jobs, the sequencer passes some parameter to these 3 ETLs. This is our prod environment and these ETLs finish successfully on normal days...but sometime job 3 gets aborted because it fails to pick up the parameter from sequencer.

Have anyone encountered similar issues and what is the cause of this issue.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What exactly does "fails to pick up the parameter from sequencer" mean? What are you seeing when this happens - something set wrong, a specific error? Need more details...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Show us detail of the following events:
"job run requested" from the sequence log
"job started" from the job log

Each of these should show the parameter values that were used.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pqrabc
Participant

Post by pqrabc »

------------------Job run requested from sequence log-------------------

Psftcen_Psftlnd_Run.PEOPLESOFT_F560101T -> (Psftcen_Psftlnd_Truncate_Job.PEOPLESOFT_F560101T): Job run requested
Mode (row/warn limits) = 0/50
Job Parameters --->
TMP_DIR_Parm=/prod/etl/data/psftcenprd1/work/temp/
TRGT_SID_Parm=db1bipd
TRGT_USR_Parm=psft_lnd
TRGT_PWD_Parm=psft_lnd
TRGT_SCHEMA_Parm=psft_lnd
SRCE_TABLE_NAME_Parm=F560101T
DELETE_WHERE_CLAUSE_Parm=
SOURCE_TABLE_GROUP_Parm=PEOPLESOFT
DSJobController=Psftcen_Psftlnd_Run.PEOPLESOFT_F560101T

-----------------Job started from job log----------------
Starting Job Psftcen_Psftlnd_Truncate_Job.PEOPLESOFT_F560101T.
TMP_DIR_Parm =
TRGT_SID_Parm =
TRGT_USR_Parm =
TRGT_PWD_Parm =
TRGT_SCHEMA_Parm =
SRCE_TABLE_NAME_Parm =
DELETE_WHERE_CLAUSE_Parm =
SOURCE_TABLE_GROUP_Parm =

@craig----------------
Daily this ETL picks up the parameter, nothing is changed in code and rerunning the sequencer solved the problem. Since this is prod I want to do RCA and need help.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

So now you have evidence to present to your support provider that parameter values are not being passed from the sequence. There may already be a patch for this. Have you checked?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pqrabc
Participant

Post by pqrabc »

We are the support providers and this has happened once in 2 yrs ( the time since I am around).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Then report it to IBM. Even as first-level support providers you are probably entitled to do that?
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

It has been a long time, but the description reminds me of the slight mismatch between client version and server version. I'm recalling a similar problem that finally resolved by discarding the client server software that was off (i.e. 7.5.2 vs. 7.5.1A). Compiles are initiated on the client and completed on the server. It may not be the cause of your problem, but I wanted to mention to double check that nobody has initiated compiles via Designer or Version Control tool where the version or patch level does not match the server version and patch level exactly.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius