Licensing After AIX Server Crash

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JCR
Participant

Licensing After AIX Server Crash

Post by JCR »

Our AIX 5.2 server crashed and cannot be fixed easily. We want to move the disks to another duplicate server. I seem to remember that DataStage is licensed to the serial number of the machine. What will I have to do to get DataStage that is currently on the disks to run on the different server?

Thanks,
Chris
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

No, DataStage is NOT licensed based on the serial number of the machine.
So just intstall the DataStage on the other server.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

That's correct.

I would do the DataStage install on the other server then mount the disks or restore data files from backup. As far as the software installation directory, it would be good to have it on hand for reference, but I would go with a a fresh install on a fresh server to get up and running.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Could be a good time to upgrade your version - DataStage 7.5.1 is no longer being supported by IBM - you can upgrade to 7.5.3 Server Edition and get the same DataStage engine with a few extra defect fixes and ongoing support for at least another year. You can also upgrade to 8.7 but 7.5.3 is a like for like upgrade while 8.7 is an upgrade to a different topology (extra tiers).

From memory I think the DataStage 7.5.3 installer doesn't ask for any license.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Any DataStage Server or Information Server upgrades will require DataStage Client upgrades.

Information Server 8.7 on AIX is only supported on AIX 6.1 and AIX 7.1 (not AIX 5.2).
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

As I said DataStage 7.5.3 is your closest release that is still supported by IBM and it runs on AIX 5.2 or 5.3. Re-installing DataStage clients is not hard, takes 10 minutes. The question is - do you pay for DataStage annual maintenance and support and if so why wouldn't you move to a supported version?
JCR
Participant

Post by JCR »

Thanks to all who replied. We were finally able to get the hardware running again. I think everyone here is convinced that it is time to upgrade and get everything up-to-date.

Thanks again,
Chris