how to know SMP or MPP or CLUSTER or GRID

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

how to know SMP or MPP or CLUSTER or GRID

Post by karthi_gana »

All,

is there a way to identify the server (without asking the ADMIN team) is SMP/MPP/CLUSTER/GRID?

i can see 3 nodes in the director log.

Code: Select all

main_program: APT configuration file: /opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Configurations/default.apt
{
	node "node1"
	{
		fastname "xxxx.com"
		pools ""
		resource disk "/node1/res" {pools ""}
		resource scratchdisk "/node1/scratch" {pools ""}
	}
	node "node2"
	{
		fastname "xxxx.com"
		pools ""
		resource disk "/node2/res" {pools ""}
		resource scratchdisk "/node2/scratch" {pools ""}
	}
	node "node3"
	{
		fastname "xxxx.com"
		pools ""
		resource disk "/node3/res" {pools ""}
		resource scratchdisk "/node3/scratch" {pools ""}
	}
}
can i get the required information from this?
Karthik
pandeesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pandeesh »

If it is Grid, you can easily identify in the log. There will be a script called "DynamicGrid.sh" which will dynamically allocate the resources.
pandeeswaran
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

also the fast name is the server hostname if there are different fastnames that means there are multiple servers involved. Also there will be a conductor node in case of Cluster/Grid.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

yes. The "fastnames" are different only. so it means there are three server involved.

On what basis nodes are added ? i mean how should i decide the node count to add it in a particula servar? Say for example, I have one node for each server. if i want to add two node for a server, can we just add it? or do we need to consider some parameters before adding new nodes?
Karthik
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Also the "default.apt" indicates that it was not dynamically generated, so that rules out GRID.

Why do you not want to ask your admin team?

As an admin I WANT / BEG new developpers to introduce themselves and ask questions on the environment. I'd much rather see someone come to me with a question than someone go down the wrong path because they did not.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Every node you add increases spot processing load (number of processes). That's the main "parameter" you need to consider.

Too many nodes can be counter productive. For a silly example, eight nodes to process one row equals seven idle nodes, but the processes all still need to be started. For a less silly example, if you partition on gender all but two nodes will be idle (except, perhaps, in California).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

what kind of actitivities will be stored in resource disk? first of all, what is mean by resource disk? It is is a kind of Hard Disk. Am i corect?

As for as i know, the lookup data will be stored in scratch disk. Right?

It is a kind of RAM? Am i correct?
Karthik
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Both resource types point to paths, so yes they are on disk, not in memory.

Please consult the Parallel Job Developer's Guide chapter "The Parallel engine configuration file" for details.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius