Loading table definition on Columns tab is painfully slow

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rjhankey
Premium Member
Premium Member

Loading table definition on Columns tab is painfully slow

Post by rjhankey »

Is there normally a long delay (2 to 3 minutes?) while waiting for Designer to come back after clicking on the Load button to bring up the table definitions in order to populate column metadata in a DB2 UDB API stage?

I had experienced similar delays when importing a DB2 table definition, but was able to remedy that problem by editing the db2cli.ini file to not look at as many schemas.

Is there a similar fix for speeding up the Load button on the Columns tab?
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Loading table definition on Columns tab is painfully slo

Post by SURA »

At the time when you import the metadata any huge query / backup was running , there it may get late response, which i faced once.

DS User
rjhankey
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rjhankey »

Unfortunately -- the load of the table list is always slow, regardless of the time of day or activity on the system. I was hoping there might be a tweak of a configuration file I could make, or is it possible our metadata catalog has hit some limit of data impacting performance of loading the list?[/quote]
kandyshandy
Participant

Re: Loading table definition on Columns tab is painfully slo

Post by kandyshandy »

rjhankey wrote:Is there a similar fix for speeding up the Load button on the Columns tab?
No.. Only load button is consuming time or every activity is slow?
Kandy
Premium Member

Post by rjhankey »

Compiles and saves are somewhat slow ... but waiting for the table list to come up to load metadata in a DB2 stage is the most exasperating delay.
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

You need to understand the Information Server architecture implemented in your organization and liaise with IBM to know if there can be any improvements made.
Kandy

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is there a vast number of table definitions, perhaps stored in a bazillion different folders in your repository? They are displayed in sorted order; sorting them may be taking much of this time.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rjhankey
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rjhankey »

Thought I'd come back and close this one out -- we probably have hundreds of table definitions (not thousands) spread across 20 folders or so. I suspect this is related to our infrastructure and other network traffic occurring on the DS server. We're also moving to DS 8.7 in the coming months, and are anticipating an improvement in performance with that upgrade.