root to non root stop/start services

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

esivaprasad
Participant

root to non root stop/start services

Post by esivaprasad »

Hi,
i have installaed datastage 8.5 version using user id root.
present i am stopping/starting services using root user only.
But as per my policy , i cannot use root user id to stop/start services in preprod or production environments.
So, how can i change root to non root level to stop/start services.
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Siva
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The uv command should have its setuid bit set and be owned by root. Therefore any user with DataStage administrator role should be able to stop and start DataStage using the uv command.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Many admin tasks require root access (or sudo root), even if you configure everything to run under non-root IDs.

In the best case, the admin will have sudo root access and follow a change control process. Some places will also grant temporary sudo root with approved change tickets.

Some won't give it out at all but if you document every command you need to run as root, the unix admins will grant sudo root access for those commands only. Good luck finding every command you many need to run as root.

In my opinion, the least successful places won't cooperate at all and the unix admins, due to policy or whatever reasons, box themselves in and become obstacles for fixing all application problems on the server, doing all the restarts, backups, applying patches, fix packs, and upgrades, etc. Those environments enjoy many headaches and very slow turn around time on most every problem. Most Unix admins do not know the application and will not interface with IBM support for the application, as that is "not their job."

Read the Adminsitration Guide and the Planning, Installation, and Configuration Guide.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius