Deleting the Logs in director for instance jobs

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

suneyes
Participant

Deleting the Logs in director for instance jobs

Post by suneyes »

Good Evening All,

There is Datastage sequence job built as part of once off history load,which would run iteratively using the loops in datastage.

We have passed the looping counter as a parameter for job instances. So for each job run, there is an instance job entry created in data stage director.

JOB1 --compiled
JOB1.1 --finished
JOB1.2 --finished
JOB1.3 --finished
JOB1.4 --finished
JOB1.5 --finished
JOB1.6 --finished

This sequence job calls around 20 datastage jobs/sequences.
As this sequence(loop) would run for around 300 times,we got a huge list of instance jobs in the director.it has now become impossible to open datastage director for monitoring the jobs as the refresh interval was set to 5 seconds.

As we dont need the job logs for the instance jobs any mnore,we are planning to drop all the instance logs created in from director.

We are taking care not to delete the actual job from the director so that the whole job gets deleted.We would only delete all the instances of the jobs.

can you please let me know,if we can go ahead with this approach or you see any problems with this?
sun
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Log into some other project in Director and change the refresh interval to some high number.

Then log into the project you mentioned having a large number of instances and job logs. Use Director to enable Auto-purge settings on the main, compiled job. Clear the job log immediately if you want to on the main, compiled job which has the overall job log of all instances. Both of these options are under the Job menu --> Clear Log...

You can also recompile the main job and you should find no need to delete job instances one by one.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

But I would suggest saving the logs in a flat file or table which will help during debugging. You dont want to be without your joblog when trying to debug your job.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can delete the "instance" entries from RT_STATUSnnn and you will find that the instance log entries magically disappear.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
suneyes
Participant

Post by suneyes »

Thanks Ray and DSguru2B. I took the path of recompiling the jobs which worked for me.Thanks once again.
sun