post verification after 8.5 installation

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

esivaprasad
Participant

post verification after 8.5 installation

Post by esivaprasad »

Hi,
What are the post checks/verifications i need to do after installation of 8.5 completed,that the installation is success or not .
Thank you very much for all your help while installation time issues to resolve it.
Siva
BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BI-RMA »

Hi,

I would say this depends on Your installation. If this is a new install and not a migration from a former version, You can check all connectors You have to use, import metadata from Your sources and start developing. Otherwise there will be quite a lot of work to do to verify that all Your jobs from Your old installation are still working like they did in the old environment.

My client just went through the migration from 8.0.1 to 8.5 ourselves and changed not only the version of datastage but also the hardware and the database software version. So there was quite a mix of new warnings from Datastage, different requirements regarding join-syntax from the database etc. It took us almost 14 days to verify that the core of about 1.000 jobs in production work as they used to on 8.0.1.
"It is not the lucky ones are grateful.
There are the grateful those are happy." Francis Bacon
esivaprasad
Participant

Post by esivaprasad »

Hi,
previously we have ds 7.5, in same server we installed 8.5 version.
we installed in webconsole/graphical mode, installed in sun solaris server.
two versions 7.5 & 8.5 in same server.
Thanks for your info..
Siva
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The easiest is to examine the History section in Version.xml. This will report SUCCESS or some other status. If the installation includes DataStage, create two jobs, one with a Transformer stage and one without, to verify that your C++ compiler is correctly installed and configured.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Basic checks:

Confirm you can login and connect from each client software, console, and web console with an admin ID as well as e developer ID.

Run the ISA Lite general health check on the server. Unzip the output file and view the HTML for ERRORS and WARNINGS.

Make sure you're able to stop and start all services on the server without warnings or errors.

If all that looks good then test compiling and running some jobs as Ray suggested, and as mentioned above by BI-RMA, then check each and every data source.

Check any add-on software: Packs, CASS, etc., whatever you've got.

If all that is good then you can start migrating projects one at a time and testing jobs.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
esivaprasad
Participant

Post by esivaprasad »

Thank you for your information.

Can ou please let me know steps to perform "Run the ISA Lite general health check on the server".
Siva
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Go to the IBM web site for Information Server and search on "ISA Lite" or "ISALite" to download the most recent version for your server's OS. There you can also find the instructions. You should already have a version on the server that's installed by default but it can easily be out-dated. If on UNIX, run it as the root user from the command line. It's all menu-driven and easy to use. The client tier also installs ISA Lite, but I've only hit a few support cases where I've needed to run it on the client.
Last edited by qt_ky on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius