Creating new Dynamic VOC file and replacing the VOC file

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sreddy666
Participant

Creating new Dynamic VOC file and replacing the VOC file

Post by sreddy666 »

HI All,

I am importing files of large size, so import process is taking huge amount of time to import.

To over come above problem, i have followed steps from IBM to create new dynamic file and replace with existing VOC file.

Steps i followed.
------------------

1.Make sure no DataStage Clients are connected to the project which will have it's VOC changed.
2.Change directory to the DSEngine directory.
3.Source the dsenv
$ . ./dsenv
4.Execute the following:
$ bin/uvsh
> LOGTO <project name>
> CREATE.FILE VOC.NEW DYNAMIC
> COPY FROM VOC TO VOC.NEW ALL
> QUIT
5.Change directory to the project's directory
6.Execute the following:
$ mv VOC VOC.orig
$ mv VOC.NEW VOC

Now the issue is: when i am doing 6 step (i.e mv VOC.NEW VOC) VOC folder is creating instead of file.

Could any one help out of this...

THanks in advance...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

From the linked instructions:
Changing the VOC file from a static file to a dynamic file speeds up the updating of the VOC.
You don't have an issue, keep on going. In all honesty, if you don't understand why I don't think you should be in there doing something of this nature.

ps. Your 'folder' came from step 4, not step 6.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sreddy666
Participant

Post by sreddy666 »

HI Crag,

But now VOC file is not present in Projects/Projectname> folder only VOC folder exists.
sreddy
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And what is in this "VOC folder"?
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DATA.30, OVER.30 and .Type30 files.

This is because the new VOC was created as a dynamic hashed file rather than the usual static hashed file.

There's no good reason for doing this, imho. Can you please ask IBM support why they suggested it?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sheesh... we know the answer Ray, it was meant to be answered by the OP.
-craig

sreddy666
Participant

Post by sreddy666 »

HI Craig & Ray,

Thanks for your reply's.. Yes we have those 3 files in VOC folder.., As per you suggestion that , this process won't help much.. Could you please suggest me any other method for reducing import time for large files...

This .dsx files are provided by IBM as Peoplesoft EPM .. I am importing those files to new project.. , I am using Datastage Designer for import process...

Thanks in advance.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Out of curiousity, just how large are these files? Any idea how many objects they contain to be imported? And just how long is this 'huge amount of time' are we talking about to import them?

This should only be a one time process so wondering if there is really an issue or not...
-craig

sreddy666
Participant

Post by sreddy666 »

Hi Craig,

File size ranges b/w 100000 KB to 225000 KB. Each file contains more than 1500 objects.. , if i select whole file to import its running more than 5 hrs.. and I am facing VPN n/w issues.. and datastage connection is lossing , so i am selecting only 200 objects to import and its taking 2-3 hrs..
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

1. Don't attempt any large DSX import from your client over a slow or unreliable VPN, ever. Is that clear? It will likely fail most every time--because of the VPN. Instead, do it from within the office on the local network (not wireless either), or via some remote desktop that is local on the network. In the latter case, VPN is OK, because the only VPN traffic is to display the remote desktop that's in the office. Most likely you will be stuck until you are able to avoid importing over the VPN.

2. On import, "deselect the Perform Impact Analysis checkbox" (from the Designer Client guide). This WILL speed up imports. However, impact analysis can be valuable to have, so I would recommend against this option and focus on eliminating VPN problems.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
sreddy666
Participant

Post by sreddy666 »

1> our server is located at onsite and clients are installed on our Desktops.. so we are using VPN to establish connection..., We are trying to get one remote desktop .. it's in process...,

2> Yes , i am unchecking Perform Impact analysis box while doing import..
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:!: Stop quoting everything every dang time you post. Please. There's a perfectly good Reply to quote button down there, please learn to use it. Then I can stop constantly cleaning up after you.

If you are "onsite" with the server, why in the world are you using VPN to connect? That should only be for remote users. :?
-craig

qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I think you are saying you are not on the same site where the server is, is that right? Continue pushing for remote desktop connectivity, as that is the answer. Your best best will be to have one remote desktop available per remote developer or you're likely to continue having annoying problems even after you get a successful import.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I read that as the server is onsite and desktops are offsite... The other option besides a remote desktop is to get a very fast, reliable network connection to the server site. Your current infrastructure clearly does not support the type of work you are attempting.
daignault
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by daignault »

Depending on your Datastage revision, there is a unix based import process for DSX files. Move the DSX file to unix directory execute the unix shell script.

It's the InformationServer/ASBNode/bin/DSXImportService.sh command. Perform the import from here and you don't have to worry about the VPN.

Regards,

Ray D