Dynamic table definition

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pandeesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Dynamic table definition

Post by pandeesh »

Hi,

Is there any way to fetch the table definition for all the columns in run time and load the data to target.
It will avoid any issues if any of the columns are dropped in future
Let's just consider the direct load alone without any transformations.
a)We can achieve this in connecting database via commandline and redirect to some target file.
I would like to know, whether the same can be achievable in a job?

Thanks
pandeeswaran
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, at least for some databases. I have done this. A sequence reads the table definition from the system tables and constructs SELECT statement from these, and passes the SELECT statement as a job parameter to a job that makes heavy use of runtime column propagation.

The job that constructs the SQL statement is a server job. It begins by echo as a before-job subroutine, appends each column name and trailing comma to the file, and uses an after-job subroutine to echo the remainder of the SELECT statement (for example 'X' FROM #jpSchemaName#.#jpTableName#)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BI-RMA »

Hi pandeesh,

Are You sure You want an automated solution to react to dropped columns in a target-database? Be aware that a column dropped in Your taget is effectively the same situation as a missing new value on Your target. If You handle one situation You also handle the other. That way You may load dozens of files successfully, but incomplete, to Your database until You realize You missed something when someone asks for the data.
"It is not the lucky ones are grateful.
There are the grateful those are happy." Francis Bacon
eph
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eph »

Hi,

I personally use orchdbutil via execute command activity plus a server job to beautify the result before loading data. I guess it's the best way if you want something dynamic.

Regards,
Eric