Validating jobs

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

josh.guffey
Participant

Validating jobs

Post by josh.guffey »

Hi Everyone,

A team member ran into an issue where they had a Sequence defined that called 20 or so parallel jobs. One of the job activities in the sequence accidentall had an incorrect database connetion parameter defined and subsquently caused the underlying parallel job to fail. I was reading up on the validating a job functionality here and was curious if running the Validate option on the job sequence would in fact validate each of the parallel jobs inside of that sequence to make sure the passed down parameters and database connections etc... would work.

Our test case turned up negative in that the Validate button only validated that the Sequence job would run successfully. I was wondering if anyone knows of any best practices that we could adopt to test all of the passed down parameter settings for large job sequences such as this one. I know that it is really each developers responsibility to ensure that they are passing down the proper variables in their job activities, but I was curious if there was any automation that we could use.

Thanks so much,

Josh
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Validating jobs

Post by SURA »

I wish someone should say YES. But my answer is NO.

DS User
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Create an identical sequence with the run mode of every job activity set to "Validate".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
josh.guffey
Participant

Post by josh.guffey »

Thanks for the reply. I agree -- a way to test this would be to create a copy of that sequence and manually set each job activity to "Validate". I was hoping that there was a "Validate, then run" option like the "reset if required, then run".

Thanks again!