Access Duration

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Access Duration

Post by mystuff »

Hi All,

I need to create a shell script to generate a report on Access Duration of All Users.

Can anyone share their thoughts on this?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why do you have this need?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

What kind of users?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'm reminded of the old statisticians' joke: "what's the birth rate around here?" "One each."

There is a pretty neat "UniVerse" solution to this, but it does require some advanced skills to get it right. Basically you need to silently intercept the LOGIN and LOGOUT in each project and record the information in some secure fashion, which involves setting up a routine with AUTHORIZATION.

It's all in the UniVerse manuals, and probably in the DataStage BASIC manual, but it's definitely not for the unskilled or faint hearted.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

Hi,

At our corporate office, we are maintaining a datastage server for employees to practice.

We have different employees who request for access. But not all use it for practice and our list of employees using datastage server is increasing day by day.

The management wanted to monitor the frequency of use and then come up with a process to remove user ids, which are not required.

In our last discussion, the management has agreed upon a report that just reports on number of days that the since the user id has been created.

Can you please let me know how to extract the number of days since the user id has been created

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

UNIX should have recorded when the user ID was created, since this is a security event and these typically are logged. Ask your UNIX administrator.
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

Hi Ray,

These users are created on the console and use the credential mapping of a generic datastage user id on unix.
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

Hi Ray,

Can you help me out on this. The users are not created on the server, they are \credential mapped with an existing user id.

How can we do this on both Windows/Unix Server.

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can't (in DataStage), because everyone is logging in as the same user. Login to DataStage uses the credentialled user, not the original user name.

Now, if everyone was credentialled to a different user ID, that would be a different matter...
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

We are planning to enter the dates (in Title/JobTitle) while creating the user in IIS console.

Is it possible obtain information contained in these fields. So that we can parse relevant dates.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Presumably you can report this information from wherever it's held in the metadata repository. But you're on your own as far as determining where that might be is concerned; the structure of the metadata repository is deliberately undocumented by the vendor.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The repository is also deliberately left unencrypted by the vendor, which is probably a good thing. About a decade ago I was at a company that used MicroStrategy for BI reporting and they disabled several things we relied on in a new release when they decided to encrypt their repository.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius