Re-usability of DS windows components in DS AIX

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bnarayan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re-usability of DS windows components in DS AIX

Post by bnarayan »

Objective:At my client site, we are required to perform POC for infosphere suite of products. However, we are having few timing constraints in getting the Infosphere suite installed in AIX. We will have 3 months lead time to design and develop in Windows environment prior to having AIX environment up and running. We need to decide if we can develop few DS jobs in Windows for 3 months, migrate them to AIX and continue the development in AIX OR start the development directly in AIX.

Question: Is it feasible to migrate components from Windows to AIX? What challenges should we be prepared for? How long would it take for migration?

Could you please provide recommendation from your experience!

Thanks
Barry
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is perfectly feasible; a file exported from Windows can be imported when connected to a server built on UNIX.

During job development be careful not to do anything "Windows" that won't work on UNIX. For example, build pathnames with a parameter for the directory and a forward slash as the delimiter.

There are lots of other examples in the section on building portable jobs - I think it's in the DataStage Designer Client Guide.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.