Internal Error (81013), DSEngine is empty!

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Internal Error (81013), DSEngine is empty!

Post by PhilHibbs »

We all got suddenly kicked out of DataStage, and now we can't log in, we get "Failed to connect to host: xxx, project: UV", "(Internal Error (81013))".

I can log in on telnet, but the /home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine directory is completely empty! No bin directory, no nothing!

Any ideas what might have happened, other than maybe someone being a bit keen with the housekeeping?
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Someone did a "rm -rf" on the directory. Or perhaps it was on it's own disk and someone unmounted it. Is the project directory safe? If yes, make a quick backup of that just in case.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The only possibility is unintentional or intentional sabotage.

There is nothing AT ALL in this product that would clear out everything in the DSEngine directory. Indeed, because certain files (such as SYS.MESSAGE) are open whenever any DataStage process is running, it would be almost impossible to achieve.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Actually, are you certain that the directory is empty? I've had cases where changes in access rights and using a tool such as WinSCP to browse UNIX directories showed empty directories. As Ray said, some of the single files in that directory are almost impossible to delete while the system is being used so perhaps you could look elsewhere and might be able to get up and running faster than doing a complete re-install.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

ArndW wrote:Actually, are you certain that the directory is empty?
I'd say "confident", but not "certain". I'm logged on using Telnet as dsadm, so I don't think anything is being hidden.

The /home/dsadm directory is a mount point for the volume that DataStage is installed on, and most of it is ok. Our projects are in /home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Projects, and that's on the same mounted volume, and we take nightly exports of our projects and I've checked that last night's worked!
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Telnet and "ls -al" or "du -s" will do the trick, if it is a mount point then "df" will also help confirm the missing directory contents so you are probably correct in assuming that your engine directory has gone back to the big bit bucket in the sky!

If this is a development site and not production and you did a UNIX backup of the DSEngine directory I would be tempted to try a simple restore from the backup. If this is production then I would be willing to spend some extra time in doing a full product reinstall (hint - you don't need to reinstall the project directory=.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

ArndW wrote:Telnet and "ls -al" or "du -s" will do the trick, if it is a mount point then "df" will also help confirm the missing directory contents...
I did ls -al and df -k which is how I knew about the volumes and mount points.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

In which case it is time to start thinking about writing a eulogy for your dearly departed Datastage directory :cry:
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

I refuse to entertain the notion that someone deleted it manually. Something really weird must have happened.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
dsadm333
Participant

Post by dsadm333 »

Hi, has anybody come across the root-cause of this issue?

I'm asking because today the same happened on our DataStage-8.5-installation. All of our developers were kicked out of their Designer-sessions and when trying to connect again we receive the 81013-error-message. In our case the DSEngine-folder only contains one folder called "java" - all other folders (such as bin) are gone...

Thanks for a response!

Best regards,
Florian.