Unable to Import DSX from 8.0 to 7.5

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bakshdwh
Participant

Unable to Import DSX from 8.0 to 7.5

Post by bakshdwh »

Hi
I have a dsx, which was on Datastage 8.0, on unix
Now, I need to import this dsx into 7.5, and when i do so, I get the error.
File C:\Baksh\TEMP\import.dsx does not appear to be a valid Datastage export file or is from an incompatible release.

A valid DataStage export file is expected to be in Windows format(i.e. using CRLF line terminators)

I searched the forum, but was not able to fix this.

Any help please ??

Thanks
CHeers
Baksh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's nothing to fix here, you are attempting something invalid as there's no backwards compatability - especially from 8 to 7.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
max.madsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Unable to Import DSX from 8.0 to 7.5

Post by max.madsen »

Unfortunately , its impossible
veera24
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by veera24 »

Have you tried importing without the executables?..i haven't tried this yet..
marcelo_almeida
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by marcelo_almeida »

In the past I was able to import jobs from version 8.1 to version 8.0, just changing the version in the file DSX. Of course I did not use any specific feature of version 8.1. Maybe you can also do this for version 8.0 to 7.5.
Marcelo Almeida
antoniomarcelo@gmail.com
Brazil
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Note that I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that it was 'invalid' and that nothing was broken as in needing to be fixed. Sure there are workarounds like editing the version number but there's no guarantee that even if you can get it imported that it will actually work. And don't expect support to help if things go sideways.

You may be better off simply recreating the job on the 7.5 server.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Alfonso
Participant

Post by Alfonso »

I want to confirm that a conversion here is possible.

Some years ago I developed a Basic program to change the header, remove or replace several properties and adjust the category format in a DSX file, no matter if it was a Server or a Parallel export, or contained jobs, routines, shared containers or table definitions.

I discovered the items to change by comparing several export files in both 7.x and 8.x versions. This worked for a couple of projects I tried to convert, and the components were successfully imported and compiled.

Alfonso
bakshdwh
Participant

Post by bakshdwh »

veera24 wrote:Have you tried importing without the executables?..i haven't tried this yet..
I did try, it doesn't work..
CHeers
Baksh
bakshdwh
Participant

Post by bakshdwh »

Alfonso wrote:I want to confirm that a conversion here is possible.

Some years ago I developed a Basic program to change the header, remove or replace several properties and adjust the category format in a DSX file, no matter if it was a Server or a Parallel export, or contained jobs, routines, shared containers or table definitions.

I discovered the items to change by comparing several export files in both 7.x and 8.x versions. This worked for a couple of projects I tried to convert, and the components were successfully imported and compiled.

Alfonso
Thanks for the reply.. i did try changing the ToolVersion and ServerVersion, 8 and 8.1 to 7.5, below, it still comes up with the same error...:(

BEGIN HEADER
CharacterSet "CP1252"
ExportingTool "IBM Websphere DataStage Export"
ToolVersion "8"
ServerName "UKIRDB46"
ToolInstanceID "project1"
MDISVersion "1.0"
Date "2011-10-14"
Time "09.55.58"
ServerVersion "8.1"
END HEADER
BEGIN DSJOB
Identifier "CopyOfTPF_GL_Seq"
DateModified "2011-05-25"
TimeModified "11.20.18"
BEGIN DSRECORD
CHeers
Baksh
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

You will not get it to work without major modifications to the data within the file. Simply changing the version information is insufficient: IS 8.5 is a major step up from DS 7.5 and IBM does not support importing jobs into earlier versions of the software. 8.0 and 8.1 were unique in being able to import from 8.1 to 8.0, but you wouldn't have been able to import 8.0 jobs into 7.5 or 7.5 jobs into 7.0.

If you by chance get your import to work, don't expect to have the new functionality that's been added since 7.5 and it will be your responsibility to resolve issues that arise with the imported jobs.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.