Job instance in "Compiled" state

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jaysheel
Participant

Job instance in "Compiled" state

Post by jaysheel »

Hi,

I am going through a strange problem. I have a multiple instance job which has instance id as "Invocatin Id". The job runs for around 20 multiple instances. The problem is for one of the instance the job is not running. It shows that instance in "Compiled" state. The original compiled job is in its place. All the other 19 instances are in "finished" state. Only one of the instance its not able to run. Its aborting with the error "Job not in a runnable state". Since its in "compiled" state i am not able to reset the job also. I have tried clearing the status for this job. But still the problem exists.

Never heard or came across about an instance of a job in "Compiled" state. Can someone help me in this.

Thanks,
- Jaysheel -
arunkumarmm
Participant

Post by arunkumarmm »

These jobs run at the same time? Have you tried running that particular job alone? Have you checked the uniqueness of the 'Invocation IDs'?

I guess "Not in a runnable state" error may occur if you are trying to run the job with same Invocation ID more than once at the same time.
Arun
pandeesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pandeesh »

arunkumarmm wrote:I guess "Not in a runnable state" error may occur if you are trying to run the job with same Invocation ID more than once at the same time.
I have tried just now.
It's not at all possible to run a multi instanced job with same invocation id more than once, it pops up an error message while clicking run button in director.
pandeeswaran
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Job instance in "Compiled" state

Post by chulett »

jaysheel wrote:The problem is for one of the instance the job is not running. It shows that instance in "Compiled" state. The original compiled job is in its place.
I have no idea what that last sentence means. The "original" job will always show Compiled if it is only ever run with an Invocation ID. And you'll not find an instance of an Invocation ID in the Director if it has never been started. You've seen that you can't manually start two with the same ID at the same time, the same is true inside a Sequence job or scheduler. Trying to do so will log that "not in a runnable state" message, which usually means it is already running.

I would double-check exactly what Invocation IDs you are using and ensure there's no accidental duplication there.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jaysheel
Participant

Post by jaysheel »

thanks Arun,

Yes all these instances are parallel. They run at the same time. May be in an interval of few seconds. I cant run the job for only one instance. When it runs it runs for all the instances from Mainframe. I am sure that the invocation ids are not same for this job. I feel something is wrong with the status table. I even tried clearing the status for this in the table. But that too didnt work. Its happening for the past few runs. I am sure no one made any modifications for the job as per my best knowledge.
- Jaysheel -
pandeesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Job instance in "Compiled" state

Post by pandeesh »

chulett wrote:I would double-check exactly what Invocation IDs you are using and ensure there's no accidental duplication there.
Craig,

what do you mean by accidental duplication?
i believe under any circumstances no two instances can have same invocation id.
Thanks
pandeeswaran
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Meant just what I said. While you can't run a MI job with the same Invocation ID as one that is already running, you can certainly schedule that or build that into a Sequence job. And then it goes kaboom.
-craig

jaysheel
Participant

Post by jaysheel »

My question here is how come an instance which has not run yet can have a state as "Compiled".
- Jaysheel -
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So... you have an entry in the Director for a run of the base job with a valid Invocation ID shown and that status shows as 'Compiled'? Not sure that I recall seeing that before, if that's what you are saying. :?

Compiling the base job again will clear those invocations from the Director, that or you can purge the log from the base job. Perhaps that might help.
-craig

jaysheel
Participant

Post by jaysheel »

Right Craig,

Whatever you said it perfect. I am seeing a valid invocation id as "Compiled".

As you suggested I will try to compile the base job again and check whether it clears off everything. Will keep posted on this.
- Jaysheel -
vishalprajapati
Participant

Post by vishalprajapati »

Hello Jaysheel

Can you please let me know resolution for this issue?
Vishal Prajapati