Install 2nd DataStage engine using same NAS directories?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mczern
Premium Member
Premium Member

Install 2nd DataStage engine using same NAS directories?

Post by mczern »

I currently have a two tier DataStage 8.53 installation where entire software install (except the client) resides on HNAS.

I would like to install a new DataStage engine on a separate server attached to the same HNAS directory tree.

Is it possible/feasible to use the same DataStage application directory installed during the initial install?

The current install has already been patched with the latest update and is currently used as production.

After having poured through the documentation, I have been unable to find an answer.
Mike Czerniawski
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is not possible to use the same installation directory for multiple installations. It is also not possible, in versions 8.x thus far, to install more than one instance of the non-client tiers on the same machine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

ray.wurlod wrote:It is also not possible, in versions 8.x thus far, to install more than one instance of the non-client tiers on the same machine.
I'm curious what is blocking this. I've installed an additional instance of Business Glossary 8.5 on the same AIX server with the services tier and metadata tier, no engine tier. It seems to be working. The first instance uses default port numbers while the second instance, for the most part, incremented each port number by one.

mczern, have you checked with support on the separate server question?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What is blocking it is that they have not yet implemented the "itag" functionality that used to be available in version 7.5 and earlier, where each instance could be given a separate "itag" (during installation) that was used to construct its shared memory keys, etc.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

It looks like itag support is there in 8.5. The planning/install guide tells about itag installs for the engine tier and claims it is supported to install multiple engines on the same computer for UNIX/Linux, but not supported on Windows. The 8.5 install program offers the itag value to be customized. I have not actually pushed the button yet to test it myself. But I can confirm multiple 8.5 instances up and running on the same AIX server: one with all server tiers and a second with services and metadata tiers only.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Ah. My last three installs have been on Windows servers.

I have certainly configured multiple 8.5 engine tiers on AIX (separate machines) using a single, shared, services tier. But it's been a while, and there was no need to investigate the itag capability then.
mczern
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mczern »

Just to clarify.. I have a separate physical server that shares the same NAS containing the application software for my current physical server. I'm running RHEL 5. Is it possible to install the DataStage on the second physical server and 'share' the single instance of the application software? Would the installer allow this as an option?

I'm trying to see if it's worth attempting to save disk space by utilizing the same directory structure for both machines since they are attached to shared storage. Or, should I just install in separate directory structure and move forward? I'm thinking this might be a maintenance nightmare if indeed it is possible.

Thoughts?
Mike Czerniawski
mczern
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mczern »

I talked to IBM support and they informed me that using the same directory structure would not be feasible.

In hindsight it doesn't make sense for several reasons. The biggest reason against this would be with respect to upgrades to new releases becoming logistical nightmares.

This is thread should probably be considered closed... And probably ignored... :-)

It was just a thought.
Mike Czerniawski