How to batch change job names

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

xicheng_my_love
Participant

How to batch change job names

Post by xicheng_my_love »

The scenario is as following: we have a sequence and this sequence invoke several jobs. All these items are in the same folder. Now we need to change the sequence name and the invoked job names to add '_T'. Can we export all the sequence and jobs to a DSX file and replace some strings in the DSX file to accomplish the task of append '_T' to the sequence name and job names? Or by updating metadata table in the metadata database? Or any other convenient methods can be applied?
a newbie to an expert
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Or you could simply use the GUI. But yes, a dsx export can be carefully edited and reimported... but then both names will exist and you'll need to delete all of the old jobs.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
suse_dk
Participant

Post by suse_dk »

But using the GUI for changing names of jobs that are being invoked in a sequencer is rather a big pain if you map a lot of parameters.
Reason: You can't change the name of the job in the job activity stage, but will need to browse for it, and then all parameter mappings disapper even if you new job uses the exact same parameters.
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's true... forgot about that little nugget.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

There's only one safe way to do this. In Designer copy each sequence and job, rename the copies to what you want (_T, or whatever), compile the jobs and elevate them up to your test and production regions.

Once you are satisfied that they work properly, delete the "old" versions.

I've learned from recent painful experience that you should let DataStage manage your sequence/job metadata and not try to "fool" it. Also, I've learned that the folder structure you create in the UI to keep your sequences and jobs organized is ignored at runtime. You can see that when you attempt to reuse jobnames in different folders. DataStage prevents that from happening.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
xicheng_my_love
Participant

Post by xicheng_my_love »

When you change the job name, DS will automatically give u a report of Impact Analysis. I am thinking that just as DS can do Impact Analysis, then there should be a shortcut to do the renaming task. Maybe DS should do further. After giving the Impact Analysis, it should prompt a wizard sort of thing to change the name where it is used.
a newbie to an expert
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Then you can log an enhancement request, either through DSXchange or through your official support provider.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.