Modified User Role for Importing/Exporting?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jwilliams
Participant

Modified User Role for Importing/Exporting?

Post by jwilliams »

I'm afraid I already know the answer to this, but on the off-chance that someone here has developed some trickery to these ends...

Has anyone here found a user role or group permissions combination that would enable a person to have access to a datastage project insofar as they can import and export a dsx, but not actually change any code once it's there? Kind of like a Super Operator that can import and export?

The solution that comes to mind is to make the project read-only and give the group in question the Developer role, but I'm aiming for a solution that would give different groups very specific functions; that is, having a separate group of elevated users that have the Developer role (and can change code if needed) but still have a entirely different group that can only import/export (call it an "archiving" group, or Datastage Curator, if you want).

I may not be describing what I'm looking for correctly, but maybe you get the gist. Thanks a lot, everyone!
Best,
J
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You might take a look at protected projects; there's a role that effectively limits operations there to import. No edits at all are permitted in a protected project.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jwilliams
Participant

Post by jwilliams »

Thank you for the tip; protected projects had occurred to me, but I hadn't really put together that the Datastage Developer would be "reduced" to an import role in a read-only project. That's helpful.

I'm afraid I probably can't do exactly what I'm trying for, though. A central part of the solution I'd like would be a group of people that can still do edits that coexist with the group that can only import/export. I guess an Administrator role could unprotect/reprotect the project as needed, but that brings in a third person to the mix, and feels cumbersome.

If anything further comes to mind, I'd greatly appreciate it; but if not, thanks for the time.
Best,
J
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I agree with your summary.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.