Scheduling using Datastage Director

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

theone
Participant

Scheduling using Datastage Director

Post by theone »

I have 42 datastage jobs need to be scheduled one after another using Datastage Director and add an email notification. Can anyone help me doing this.

What I did so far is I added 42 Job activity stages in a Sequence Job but I want it to make little simple.

Thank you.
arvind_ds
Participant

Post by arvind_ds »

Create a shell script.Call each job to be executed through dsjob -run command in that script one after another.

Now create a job sequence.Put two activities over there.

- Execute command activity.
- Email notification activity.

Now Schedule this job sequence through DS director.

HTH
Arvind
theone
Participant

Post by theone »

Thank you for the reply, I cannot execute shell due to permission. Is there any way in Datastage director without a script.
arvind_ds
Participant

Post by arvind_ds »

Then use the same approach that you are thinking. Call all the jobs one after another in a job sequence and put email notification activity at the end of the job sequence and then schedule the job sequence through DS director.
Arvind
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What you've got is pretty simple. Clarify something for us - when exactly do you need to send this email notification and what is its purpose? Is it just one after all jobs have been run, or one after every job completes? Or is it just for error notification?

Do you want something more... "flexible"? Say where the number or collection of jobs to run can change over time? There are ways to manage that (especially if they can all be run in a serial fashion) depending on how creative you want to be and what other silly restrictions you have on you like no shell scripts. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
theone
Participant

Post by theone »

I just want one email notification for all jobs at the end with all the job details(Failed/Okay).

The number of jobs may not change and I scheduled in serial so far and trigger with unconditional as they are not dependent.

I understand the shell script permission. The server has high sensitive data.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then what you've got should be fine. I was thinking a loop but it doesn't sound like it would buy you all that much. And we have sensitive data on our servers but that doesn't preclude the use of scripts, it just means that any we use have be 'hardened' against mischief and pass a security audit. For whatever that is worth.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
theone
Participant

Post by theone »

Thank you Chulett and Arvind, I never did scheduling in Director and was using scripts but all of the sudden due to security issue we planned to run jobs using director.

That helped me with all your inputs. Appreciate it.