Passing commandoutput as a parameter in to the parameter set

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1. You don't need to count anything.
2. You can not include a unix command in a Convert() function.
3. Use the ls command to sort the file names. Translate the linefeeds into commas.
4. Have your StartLoop command process a "list of things" comma-delimited list of file names.
5. Within the loop decide which action to take based on file code (filename[4,2]).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hsahay »

Thanks Ray.

Please let me know how to pass command output as a parameter in the parameter set.

following is the error:

In my job I need to get the header of the file for processing and to do that I have used unix command.

When I pass file name as is job works fine, but now I want to run the the job for multiple files
one by one and that's the reason I want to pass file name as a parameter which I get from commandoutput in to the parameterset.

What I did is replaced file name parameter in the parameter set with
Execute_Command.$CommandOutput, expecting this will be replaced with file name.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can not use activity variables as values for parameters, whether they're in parameter sets or not. You need to provide the activity variable reference when setting the value of a parameter, for example within the Job tab of a Job activity or via a -param option on a dsjob command line.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
netgurutoo
Participant

Post by netgurutoo »

I am not sure if this is any help but you can change values in Parametersets only in the Values files.
In the Parameterset you can have many value files created in the Values tab of the parameterset. Column one is Value File Name... lets say your value file is OtherParms.txt.... all other columns are you Parameter names you can change this value file in your first job by writing to the file or over writting it. I think the file is in the root but double check and you can view it to see the format for your metadata.. So basically just write your new value/s to OtherParms.txt then kick off a second job and use that value file.
hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hsahay »

Hi Ray,

The problem is I cannot view inividual parameters of the parameter set with in the job tab of a job activity in v8.5.

If that is poosible, as you said I could pass the activity variable reference when setting the value of a parameter.

Thanks.
hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hsahay »

netgurutoo,

I didn't understand how to do below said statement.
"you can change this value file in your first job by writing to the file or over writting it."

I didn't quite get the whole thing. Can you please explain more...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can create one or more values files for the Parameter Set.

Write values into the values file before invoking the job or sequence that consumes the Parameter Set values.

When you run the job, specify one of these file names as the "value" of the Parameter Set, rather than (as pre-defined), in particular the name of the values file that you wrote values into above.
VVVRAVINDRA999
Participant

NEW TO DATASTAGE

Post by VVVRAVINDRA999 »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by VVVRAVINDRA999 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ravi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The answers have been very specific. The solution is to write parameter name=value pairs into a file and to configure the job to have the Parameter Set read its values from that file.

Please take more care with your written English on DSXchange. Not everyone here has English as a first language, so it's tough enough for them when a professional standard of written English is maintained. SMS-style abbreviations and idiosyncratic spellings only exacerbate this problem.
hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hsahay »

Ray,

I understood the the concept of value files. Thank you.

But I still can't pass the activity variable reference when setting the value of a parameter .

The reason is I cannot view inividual parameters and their values of the parameter set with in the job tab of a job activity in v8.5.

I believe we can view parameters and their values in the job tab in v7.5

Hope I'm not missing anything.

Thanks again.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You set the value by writing it into the values file.

You set the "value" of the Parameter Set when you submit the job to be run to the name of the values file.
hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hsahay »

I could create a value file (ValueFile.txt) which looks like

ValueFile.txt
$DB=XYZ
$INPUTFILE=/project/data/data.file.in.1.txt
$OUTPUTFILE=/project/data/data.file.txt

What I would like to do is replace the $INPUTFILE
with
data.file.in.2.txt
data.file.in.3.txt etc...

My job design
Routine Activity1--->RoutineActivity2--->Job that reads ValueFile

Routine Activity1-->ls -lrt data.file.in.* |head -1
Retrieves one file at a time from source directory

Routine Activity2--->echo output of routine1>>ValueFile.txt
takes the output of Routine Activity1(filename) and writes(appends) to the value file as

$DB=XYZ
$INPUTFILE=/project/data/data.file.in.1.txt
/project/data/data.file.in.2.txt

which I is not right...it should update the value file like

$DB=XYZ
$INPUTFILE=/project/data/data.file.in.2.txt

Let me know where I'm missing and what to do to fix..please.

Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You got exactly what you coded when you simply appended the new value to the current file. In order to "update" the values file, you'd need to read it and then write it out with that specific record replaced with the new value to a new filename and then replace the original file with the new file.

That or get creative with something like the sed command.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hsahay »

I was able to do with the following command

sed -e 's!$FILE=/project/data/data.file.in.1.txt!$FILE=/ABC/data_ABC/data_ABC.file.in.2.txt! file.txt > Newfile.txt'

Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So... resolved?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers