Difference between dsx files of version 7 and 8

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

fmou
Participant

Difference between dsx files of version 7 and 8

Post by fmou »

Hi,

I don't have a DS 8 to try out myself so I have to ask here -- does the dsx file exported from DS version 7 and 8 have huge differences?

Has anyone had a need to import DS 8 dsx files into DS 7?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The big difference is that the version 8 DSX file will have version 8 components in it, which ought to preclude its successful use importing into a version 7 system.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
fmou
Participant

Post by fmou »

ray.wurlod wrote:The big difference is that the version 8 DSX file will have version 8 components in it ...
Hmm, apart from that, nothing major?

Or, let me ask this way, say the dsx file exported from DS version 7 is imported into v8x, then exported again, would the changes be massive? (I don't have a DS 8 to try out myself so I have to ask)

thanks
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

Still it wont allow to import again:)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You may be able to hack it (by changing the Tool Version field) in this case, but nothing is guaranteed.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

I tried it from 8.5 to 8.1 but no luck. I might missed something..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Let's wait to see how fmou fares...
fmou
Participant

Post by fmou »

I don't have a DS 8 to try out myself so the waiting might be long...
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

I've been looking at some DS8.5 DSX files and they don't look much different to me - there might be some subtlety that I'm missing though.

I just did an import of a 7.5 DSX into 8.5 and then exported it back out again, here's what I notice is different.

DateModified and TimeModified entries are absent for most objects, these were populated with dummy values anyway.

Category values are prefixed with "\\Jobs\\" in the 8.5 export.

Job has some new properties are present, e.g.:

Code: Select all

Act2ActBufferSize "0"
      Act2ActIPCTimeout "0"
      ExpressionSemanticCheckFlag "0"
Each Canvas has some new properties, e.g.:

StageNames " |Change_History|XFM_ServShortDesc|EXT_tblASMD|HFT_tblASMD"
      StageTypeIDs " | |CTransformerStage|ABAP_EXT_for_R3|CHashedFileStage"
      LinkNames " | |Extract_HeaderDetails|EXT_tblASMD| "
      LinkHasMetaDatas " | |True|True| "
      LinkTypes " | |1|1| "
Ah, I think I might have found a significant difference:
v7.5:

Partner "V114S2"
v8.5:

Partner "V114S2|V114S2P2"
In 7.5, each half of a link has the ID of the stage that the other half of the link is attached to as its Partner. In 8.5, it appears to also have the pin ID of the other half of the link. This solves a problem that I had in my DataStage Analysis - I had to build up a key comprising the Partner Stage ID and the Link Name in order to uniquely identify the other half of a link. Now, it appears to have the Link ID in the Partner. If DS7.5 is not expecting this two-part Partner value, then it might choke trying to identify a Stage with an ID of "V114S2|V114S2P2" when the ID is actually "V114S2".

The absence of the DateModified and the presence of the other entries is probably not going to cause a failure. The \\Jobs\\ prefix and the two-part Partner probably are going to cause 7.5 to fail to import. I'll post again here if I see any more differences.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
fmou
Participant

Post by fmou »

I've been looking at some DS8.5 DSX files and they don't look much different to me . . . I just did an import of a 7.5 DSX into 8.5 and then exported it back out again. . .
FYI, The jobs developed from scratch natively in DS8x looks quite different to me though.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

fmou wrote:FYI, The jobs developed from scratch natively in DS8x looks quite different to me though.
Oh dear :( looks like I might have a lot of work ahead of me on my DataStage Analysis spreadsheet.

*edit* although one of my test DSX files is v8 and that seems to be ok, not noticed any problems.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
fmou
Participant

Post by fmou »

*edit* although one of my test DSX files is v8 and that seems to be ok, not noticed any problems.
good to know. thanks