login and logout logs in datastage server

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

esivaprasad
Participant

login and logout logs in datastage server

Post by esivaprasad »

Hi,
I need log details that who login and logout into the datastage project or in server(upto two days logs). Is there any possibility to find the logs with user id details ie.related to which user is accessed datastage project or server.
Thank you in advance.
Siva
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not automatically captured.

You can modify the operation of each project to capture this information by modifying the paragraphs in VOC called LOGIN and LOGOUT, typically to execute a routine to capture and record that information. Whatever you do it is absolutely vital that the LOGIN is "clean" - that no unexpected characters occur on stdout.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
esivaprasad
Participant

Post by esivaprasad »

Hi,
Thanks for infornation.
Please let me know where this VOC file will reside and steps to change details to capture the log details automatically.
Siva
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Every project has a VOC, and it's a hashed file not a regular file so you can't edit it with a standard editor - you need to use something like the UniVerse line editor ED.

Your question suggests that you should hire someone experienced - if you get this process wrong, you render your project unusable.

The LOGIN entry in VOC already exists. You need to add to it a reference to a BASIC routine that records the login event into, for example, a UniVerse table.

The LOGOUT entry in VOC does not exist, so it needs to be created to include a reference to a BASIC routine that records the logout event into, for example, the same UniVerse table.

Note the LOGOUT is not executed in the event of a crash, so you might also like to add an ON.ABORT entry to VOC.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.