DS 7.5 and 8.1 on same server.

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rohitagarwal15
Participant

DS 7.5 and 8.1 on same server.

Post by rohitagarwal15 »

Will it be possible to install datastage 7.5 and 8.1 on same server..
If possible then what are things need to be kept in mind to avoid any issue..
Pls guide me..
Rohit
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes it's possible.

The server, if scaled for version 7, will not be adequate for version 8 (by a long way).

The version 7 installation will have to be switched to using a different itag, since version 8.1 mandates used of the default itag.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ulab
Participant

Yes It is possible

Post by ulab »

Yep Rohit,

It is possible to install 7.5 and 8.1 versions on a same server/system, but it is not possible to work on both versions parallel, when U install 8 Version on which 7.5 is already installed you'll get a Multi-Client Manager tool to switch between the versions, so you can work on any one version at a given point of time.
Ulab----------------------------------------------------
help, it helps you today or Tomorrow
rohitagarwal15
Participant

Re: Yes It is possible

Post by rohitagarwal15 »

Thanks Balu for your information.
But i was just wondering about dsrpc deamon as already 7.5 is installed so it has DSEngine but when i install new 8.1 on same server so what will be the dsrpc name means it has already occupied by previous version so we need to provide any new name or automatically it will take new name.
ps -ef|grep dsrpc

Pls provide your valuable suggestions..!!
Rohit
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In the past, there was a pdf manual supplied on the subject of installing / supporting multiple server installations - is that no longer included? As noted, the 7.x version will need to be reconfigured (reinstalled?) with a different itag as 8.x can only use the default.

I'm sure your official support provider would be glad to help you with all of the gory details and ramifications of doing that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tcheslav
Participant

Post by tcheslav »

rohitagarwal15 wrote:Thanks Balu for your information.
But i was just wondering about dsrpc deamon as already 7.5 is installed so it has DSEngine but when i install new 8.1 on same server so what will be the dsrpc name means it has already occupied by previous version so we need to provide any new name or automatically it will take new name.
ps -ef|grep dsrpc

Pls provide your valuable suggestions..!!
Hi.
I don't know about 7.5 and 8.1 running in parallel, but we have currently 8.1 nad 8.5 running in parallel smoothly.
dsrpc name for second ds engine is itag+dsrpc

look on details:

[root@server ~]# ps -ef | grep dsrpc
root 2570 1 0 Jun26 ? 00:00:00 /opt/IBM/InformationServer85/Server/DSEngine/bin/aaadsrpcd
root 3984 1 0 Jun26 ? 00:00:00 /opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSEngine/bin/dsrpcd
root 25965 28232 0 11:05 pts/1 00:00:00 grep dsrpc
[root@server ~]#

Regards
Bartek
rohitagarwal15
Participant

Post by rohitagarwal15 »

chulett wrote:In the past, there was a pdf manual supplied on the subject of installing / supporting multiple server installations - is that no longer included? As noted, the 7.x version will need to be reconfigured (reinstalled?) with a different itag as 8.x can only use the default.

I'm sure your official support provider would be glad to help you with all of the gory details and ramifications of doing that.
So you mean to say that if i need both versions on same server then probably first i have to uninstall the 7.5 version then first install 8.1 and then 7.5 version.
Rohit
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

rohitagarwal15 wrote:So you mean to say that if i need both versions on same server then probably first i have to uninstall the 7.5 version then first install 8.1 and then 7.5 version.
I'm unsure, hence the question mark in my statement. Ray probably knows, in the meantime you could always check with support.
-craig

rohitagarwal15
Participant

Post by rohitagarwal15 »

Hi.
I don't know about 7.5 and 8.1 running in parallel, but we have currently 8.1 nad 8.5 running in parallel smoothly.
dsrpc name for second ds engine is itag+dsrpc
So which version did you installed first 8.5 or 8.1 ??
Rohit
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I would assume 8.5 as the older 8.x versions are not supposed to support an itag install. Good to know that it looks like they've finally added that ability back in.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I recall (whether accurately or not) that there are scripts with 7.5 for changing the itag without needing to reinstall. Check the scripts directory within DSEngine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.