Identifying the erroneous column

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

fmou
Participant

Identifying the erroneous column

Post by fmou »

Hi,

How can I know which column is causing error during sequential file read?

thanks
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

First, make sure you are not suppressing messages in the log.

Parallel jobs will squawk about just about anything they don't like, so look at the warning/error messages in the log.

Also drop a reject link to a reject file and capture the rejected records. It helps when you have just a few rejects in a larger volume.

Experience helps in deciphering what the warning/error messages are telling you, so search the forum and post specific messages if you need help.

Mike
fmou
Participant

Post by fmou »

Thanks for the practical suggestions, Mike.

The reason that I asked the question was actually that, I saw at another place a tip for identifying the column causing problem during sequential file read, is to play with the Record Options tab, eg. something like enabling the "print field" option etc.

But however I try to find, I can't find such Record Options tab, anyone know what's the tip talking about?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In the stage properties there's a number of folders. Click on any one of those and the Available Options to Add frame is populated. One of those folders relates to Record level properties.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
fmou
Participant

Post by fmou »

Thanks for your reply Ray, Unfortunately, I was having a hard time trying to interpret what you were trying to say, 'cause Tabs are GUI concept, whereas folders are files system concept.

Before asking further questions on it, let's find some common ground. I'm using DS 7.5, and to specify details about how the Sequential File stage reads data from flat files, I need to specify on (ironically) the Outputs tab, on which the sub tabs are,
  • - The General tab allows you to specify an optional description of the output link.
    - The Properties tab allows you to specify details of exactly what the link does.
    - The Formats tab gives information about the format of the files being read.
    - The Columns tab specifies the column definitions of incoming data.
    - The Advanced tab allows you to change the default buffering settings for the output link.
Are you talking about playing with the Properties tab in the the Outputs tab of the Sequential File stage? That's the first place that I looked, but didn't find anything the tip said, e.g., enabling the "print field" option etc.

thanks
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Ray was referring to the Record Level properties on the Format tab.

If you're looking for a Record Options tab, you should be looking in a Complex Flat File stage.

Mike
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry fmou, just have to make a comment on your "(ironically)" comment. It might seem a little bass-ackwards at first but realize that when the stage reads a file it outputs the result from the stage. Conversely, to write to a file you need to send your data as input to the stage, which it then writes to disk.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
fmou
Participant

Post by fmou »

thanks everyone for the explanation, especially chulett for your clarification!