Can we install V8.5 client on 32-bit machine?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

BugFree
Participant

Can we install V8.5 client on 32-bit machine?

Post by BugFree »

Hi all,

Currently I have a requirement to work on both V8.1 and V8.5 DataStage jobs. We have 2 different servers; one for V8.1 and another for V8.5 and both are installed in windows environment. However V8.5 newly installed and we are in a process of installing the clients in multiple machines.

1. Most of the developers are working on 32-bit OS machine. So is it possible to install V8.5 client in these machines?

2. If Yes, Can we install this on top of V8.1 client?

3. Or if I install V8.5 client after uninstalling V8.1, will I be able to access V8.1 & V8.5 machine from the same client instance?

Anybody done these setup, please share your valuable experience and tech notes. looking forward your help in setting up the environements
Ping me if I am wrong...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I believe the client is still just 32bit. I also believe that multiple 8.x clients are not support, meaning only one can be installed at any given time. I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or deny...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

1) As Craig mentioned, the client is still 32-bit and can be installed on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008. See the following link for further system requirements information: https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview ... wg27018823

2) You can install on top of as V8.1 client. If you want to retain and use the 8.1 client, install 8.5 into a separate directory. The 8.5 installer will update the MultiClientManager application and you will be able to switch between versions. Be mindful that you will be able to USE only one version of the client at a time on a given machine.

3) No. You should always use the appropriate client version (including FixPacks, patches, etc.) for the server you are connecting to. To do otherwise is unsupported, can lead to possible job corruption and may not work at all.

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
greggknight
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by greggknight »

Yes you can install bot 8.1 and 8.5 clients on the same machine. The multi client tool can be used to access either version.

If the client tools are installed on a vm server though it will still work but there are some inderences if two developers are on diff versions.

I am running 8.01 2 servers
and 8.5 also 2 servers one is 32bit and the other is 64 bit and the client tools are installed on a 32 bit vm server.
"Don't let the bull between you and the fence"

Thanks
Gregg J Knight

"Never Never Never Quit"
Winston Churchill
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Interesting... I could swear I'd read here that the MCM didn't work with multiple versions of the 8.x client. We all know it works with multiple 7.x versions or 7.x versions with a single 8.x version (which I've used) but I thought multiple 8s... ah, I must be thinking of multiple server installs here.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

Yep...only one version of the server can be installed at a time in Windows.

I have 4 versions of 8x clients and a 7.5.2 client installed in XP, with an 8.5 client installed in a VMWare image mainly to run under Linux. Different customers, different software versions/patch levels.
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
greggknight
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by greggknight »

As I wrote in my earlier post

I have 8.01 installed on server1
I have 8.5 32bit server installed on server2
I have 8.5 64bit server installed on server 3

I have the client tools for 8.0 and 8.5 installed on a VM server (vertual Machine)
I can access all three servers from the one VM server using the multi client tool.

Actuall the 8.5 64bit version, is not a true 64bit. DataStage is still 32bit. The underlying componants like MKS is 64bit.
"Don't let the bull between you and the fence"

Thanks
Gregg J Knight

"Never Never Never Quit"
Winston Churchill