Version Control vs Information Server 8.5 functionality

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JeroenDmt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Version Control vs Information Server 8.5 functionality

Post by JeroenDmt »

We are currently using DataStage 7 and are about to upgrade to 8.5
We are now using Version Control to promote jobs to different environments and as an overview for compliancy so we can see which jobs where in which environment on which time. Also to be able to go back to the previous version of a job in 8.5

I am wondering what are the experiences in 8.5 for people who used to use version control (or simply know about the new features).

Is this functionality available in 8.5 in some form? Would you need the source control integration with a tool like CVS or ClearCase for that?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Information Server Manager 8.5 integrates directly with some source code control tools (the IBM ones), and you can use Eclipse plug-ins for others. We're using SubVersion. There's also an API, but I haven't investigated that. SubVersion looks after the versioning, and also provides check out/check in functionality, though it appears that you can bypass this.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
JeroenDmt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JeroenDmt »

Does SubVersion show a history which version of a job was used in each environment (especially production)?

Does anyone know if CVS does the same thing as well? I think SubVersion is not certified with Information Server?
ggarze
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ggarze »

Hi Ray,

Can you expand on how you are using subversion and DataStage, partically in regards to are you doin gthe check in and check out through Information Server Manager or are you doing it outside of it where you are importing and exporting .dsx files? Assuming you use it via Information Server Manager, if you check out a job does DataStage police it inside designer where others who access that job in Designer get read only access until you check it in? If not, would you know if using IBM's clearcase has that functionality where a checked out job cannot be updated by other developers in Designer?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I've actually moved on from that shop; hopefully one of its denizens will answer your questions. They know who they are, and they do visit DSXchange. Deepak?

My current client is still migrating from 8.1 to 8.5 and therefore not yet in a position to implement source code control through ISM, though they have expressed interest in doing so.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.