Version Control Advice

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ggarze
Premium Member
Premium Member

Version Control Advice

Post by ggarze »

Now that Version 8.1 does not have Version Control as the older versions of 7x have had I need to come up with a solution for Versioning jobs. I assume from what I have read that most people are exporting their .dsx files into some third party type software like clear case, cvs, vss, etc. I know the whole check in check out seems like a sticky situation because when you export jobs from DataStage it doesn't remove them from the repository. Of course I guess if we chose software with the check in/out capabilties we could develop a "Best Practice" scenario where developers should first always refresh from the version control software first to make sure someone else is not using it.
Anyway, with that being said can some of you please recommend or comment on solutions that are working best for you and your company with regards to a software package and/or process that a development team can be comfortable with implementing?

Thanks!
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The old version control has been replaced by the version 8.x Information Server Manager tool. This tool has the capability to move components (DataStage and external) into a Package, to apply version numbering to that package, to seek out and include dependent objects and then deliver this Package to other DataStage environments. It has right mouse click menu integration with source control tools such as SubVersion and ClearCase such as check in and rollback. There is still no true check in/check out DataStage job capability that makes jobs readonly when they are checked in however with proper development processes you shouldn't need it.