Project Level Auto Purge

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DS_TM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Project Level Auto Purge

Post by DS_TM »

Hi,

We have enable the auto purge at the project level on our 8.1 FP1 DS server.

I am unable to find the PURGE.SETTINGS control record in our RT_LOGnnn files to reflect the project level purge setting. Inerestingly log entries are cleared as per the project level auto purge settings.

The question I have is how should I verify any given job if it has active project level auto purge settings? The reason I ask is we have some jobs which are imported before the project level auto purge setting was enabled.

Please note that I have no issue of this kind on our 7.5 server.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You have exactly the same issues on 7.5. Absence of the //PURGE.SETTINGS control record flags use of the project defaults.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The //PURGE.SETTINGS record is created by someone manually overriding the default purge settings. Obviously this has not been done to this job in the new environment.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DS_TM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_TM »

I am still not clear Ray. This was a new job created by me without any manual intervention on RT files. These commands were executed on UNIX box immediately after creating this simple job "Test".

There looks be difference in 7.5 and 8.1 //PURGE.SETTINGS record in RT_LOG files.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no difference between versions. Newly created jobs don't get a //PURGE.SETTINGS record in either version. The only thing that creates the //PURGE.SETTINGS record is someone manually overriding the default settings in Director client.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I thought it was \\PURGE.SETTINGS.
Mamu Kim
DS_TM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_TM »

Ray,
In my case no one is overriding the default setting. Just curious to know how it got into RT_LOG in 7.5 and not on 8.1?

If I stick to your observations then how can I verify that a given job is enforced for project level purging? So, that I can scan through all the jobs with corresponding purge settings.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Someone did, in 7.5.

To verify, check that the values in //PURGE.SETTINGS match those of the project default. Yes, in each log hashed file. Or you could simply delete the //PURGE.SETTINGS record. (Or \\PURGE.SETTINGS if that's what it happens to be.)
DS_TM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_TM »

Ray,
No one did in 7.5 server as well since I created a new job without any manual intervention.

Also, I don't find the \\PURGE.SETTINGS in log hashed file and it purges the entries as per the project default. Then how do I confirm if the purge is enable for that particular job?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If there's no \\PURGE.SETTINGS entry it's enabled as per the project default. If there is a \\PURGE.SETTINGS entry then you have to review that entry to establish whether auto-purge is enabled for that particular job.
DS_TM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_TM »

What if a given job is imported before the project default is set?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The project default is always set, even if the setting is "not enabled".

If it's changed, the changes only affect jobs created/imported after the change has been wrought.
DS_TM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_TM »

ray.wurlod wrote:The project default is always set, even if the setting is "not enabled".

If it's changed, the changes only affect jobs created/imported after the change has been wrought.
Thank you very much for patiently answering all my questions Ray!!!

I have another one, what is the purging project default which is always set even if the purge setting is not enabled? I am under impression that if the purge setting is not enabled the log files will accumulate forever.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I believe that is the default default.

Best practice is to remedy that immediately the project is created, since you have the Administrator client open anyway.