Blueprint Director unable to locate DataStage client

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vmcburney
Participant

Blueprint Director unable to locate DataStage client

Post by vmcburney »

I am trying to use a new product that comes bundled with DataStage 8.5 called InfoSphere Blueprint Director. It lets you draw blueprint diagrams and then connect parts of the Blueprint directly to DataStage, Business Glossary and Metadata Workbench. I am trying to register a DataStage Server with Blueprint Director and I get the following error no matter what I put in for my DataStage connection parameters:
"Problem with connection. DataStage client must be installed on this machine".

I do have DataStage installed on this machine and I have put the DataStage Classic Client folder into the path name so DSDesign (Designer) can be run from the command line. Still no luck. Is anyone out there using Blueprint Director and have you been able to get it to link to DataStage?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are the Engine Credentials properly mapped?
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Yes, DataStage is working okay and I have the Designer running and connected to the server. Either Blueprint Director cannot find the DataStage client software on my machine or it is failing to connect to the server - could be a generic error message that covers any number of problems. I am concerned that it has hard coded the expected location of DataStage client software or it is looking for a component that I don't have in my path. It doesn't seem to matter what I put into the connection fields, I get this same error every time.
jwiles
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwiles »

I installed Blueprint Director today along with the 8.5 client in a non-standard location (I already had 7.5.2, 8.0.1 and 8.1.0.1 installed, with only 8.0.1 in the standard location). After installation, I successfully validated connections to two separate 8.1 FP1 DataStage engines (don't have an active 8.5 I can get to atm). I also validated to an 8.1 FP1 engine with the 8.5 client being the active version, as well as with 7.5.2!

Blueprint Director is using dsjob to validatate the connection, at the very least, but I don't know if it's using the PATH value or maybe the registry to find dsjob.exe. From observation, it appears that the dsjob.exe from the active version is used to validate with and the versions aren't validated at this point (Tools->Manage Server Connections).

Regards,
- james wiles

All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain.
jgreve
Premium Member
Premium Member

connected to metadata workbench 8.5 but not datastage 8.5

Post by jgreve »

Another data point: I just upgraded to 8.5 fixpack 1 and was able to connect to metadata workbench 8.5, but not the datastage engine 8.5. I haven't tried connecting to other datastage versions yet.

note: All of tiers and clients are running on the same machine (just a test vm: win2008 64-bit, sqlserver repository, 2 cores, 8gb ram).

My next step will be trying a client-only virtual machine to see if that makes a difference.
John
jgreve
Premium Member
Premium Member

connected ok after 8.5 fixpack 1 update

Post by jgreve »

After updating 8.5 fixpack1 on InfoServer ( fixpack_FP1_IS85_windows_8500.ispkg ) and Blueprint Director Client fixpack (BLUEPRINT.ispkg ) it still failed to connect.

On a whim, just before trying a standalone vm to see if that connects, I tried re-installing Blueprint Director. It wanted a different folder to install into, so I used C:\IBM\blueprint2, and much to my pleasant surprise the "Validate DataStage Engine Connection" succeeded.

I noticed 2 extra fields in the "Add Server Connection" dialog (marked New! below):

Code: Select all

DataStage Version [ 8.5.0.1 ] (read only)
Domain: [ INFOSERVER1 ]
Port: [ 9080 ]
User name: [ isadmin ]
Password: [ isadmin ] (it is just a test box)
DataStage Engine (if different to Domain): [  ] (New! left this blank as it is the same for me)
DataStage Engine Port: [ 31548 ] (New! default)
Looks like I was trying to run the tired old version.
petter
Participant

Note on Blueprint fp. 1

Post by petter »

Applying BLUEPRINT.ispkg to a client installation will only update the files in the ..\InformationServer\Blueprint folder. In order to actually update Blueprint Director you must (re-) install it from that folder.

And yes, updating to build 20110213-0923 (shipped with 8.5 fp. 1) fixed the DataStage connection problem for me, too.
Intelligent Communication AS
saraswati
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by saraswati »

I am using DS 8.5 and facing the same issue - Datastage Client doesnot exist on the system..

In the above post, people resolved this issue by upgrading it to fix pack 1.

What shall be done without upgrading it to fix the problem. ?