Command Stage in Server Job

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Brian Zhang
Participant

Command Stage in Server Job

Post by Brian Zhang »

Hello All,

We are in DataStage 8.5 now. As per the 8.5 Information Center, it's saying the Command Stage is able to be found in Processing category in Palette. But we didn't find this stage there.

Here is the link about Command stage in 8.5 IC:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... Stage.html

It says the Unix command is supported.

Please feel free to tell me how that stage is able to be located in 8.5 server job if you experienced the same as us before.

Thank you
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The Command stage is only installed on a Windows server. You would be using the Execute Command stage and both are found in a Sequence job rather than a Server job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Brian Zhang
Participant

Post by Brian Zhang »

Thank you, Craig.

But it's saying it's been available in DS 8.5 as per the Information Center.
Brian Zhang
Participant

Post by Brian Zhang »

I mean it's been available for the command in Unix in DS 8.5 as per the Information Centre.
You can execute any command, including its arguments, that you can type to the shell of the operating system, such as Windows or UNIX. Examples include Perl scripts, DOS batch files, UNIX scripts, and other command-line executable programs that you can call if they are not interactive.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If true then that's a change that no-one here has mentioned yet. I've only ever worked on UNIX servers so never seen the Command stage in my entire up-to-8.1 DataStage life. The fact that it can run 'UNIX scripts' could be simply because of the MKS Toolkit that is installed with the product.

Ask your official support provider and let us know what you find out. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I am running 8.5 on AIX. There is no Command stage. A search revealed only four objects with Command in their name:
Execute Command activity (for sequences).
A folder in the repository Data Elements branch.
Two data elements COMMAND.OUTPUT and COMMAND.RTNCODE.

No Command stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Brian Zhang
Participant

Post by Brian Zhang »

chulett wrote:If true then that's a change that no-one here has mentioned yet. I've only ever worked on UNIX servers so never seen the Command stage in my entire up-to-8.1 DataStage life. The fact that it can run 'UNIX scripts' could be simply because of the MKS Toolkit that is installed with the product.

Ask your official support provider and let us know what you find out. :wink:
Thank you, Craig.

I've been told the IC will be updated as the Command stage is still not available on Unix yet. And meanwhile, the Command stage might be developed to support Unix environment in future.
Brian Zhang
Participant

Post by Brian Zhang »

ray.wurlod wrote:I am running 8.5 on AIX. There is no Command stage. A search revealed only four objects with Command in their name:
Execute Command activity (for sequences).
A folder in the repository Data Elemen ...
Thank you for the alternatives, Ray.

Regards