Datastage on UNIX vs DataStage on Windows

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage on UNIX vs DataStage on Windows

Post by SURA »

Hi All,

Right now I am working with DataStage on Windows and now the discussion started to find the difference between Datastage on UNIX vs DataStage on Windows?

Is there is any valid reason to move Datastage 8x from Windows to Unix

Windows Unix

1. Performance Yes / No Yes / No
2. Stability Yes / No Yes / No
3. Cost Yes / No Yes / No
4. Maintenance Yes / No Yes / No
5. Other Advantage Yes / No Yes / No

If any one have answer please let me know.

Thanks
DS User
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I think DataStage performs better on Linux, scales better on Linux, has cheaper licensing (both Windows and the compiler) and potentially cheaper maintenance as you will not need to keep rebooting it when it freezes up.

One drawback is you will have more difficult access to Excel spreadsheets straight from DataStage. A Windows server can read an Excel file directly.

Another issue is requiring someone who knows how to setup a Linux server and configure the right security. There are some DIY tasks required on Linux that are easier on Windows if most of your servers are Windows.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage is almost identical from a user's perspective - the differences are minor, such as no SQL Server Enterprise stage on UNIX platforms (no surprise there). As Vincent noted, it's mainly going to be about your in-house skill sets and whether you need to access things like Excel without having to purchase extra ODBC drivers.

My personal preference is for UNIX. When someone can show me a Windows system with more than two years continuous uptime, I might be able to be turned. On the other hand, Intel-based systems are easier on the budget.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ppgoml
Participant

Post by ppgoml »

personally, I think it's not a bad idea to deploy DS on windows server, it's easy to connect to data source with odbc, and have quick access to sql server. Some stages are running better performance than linux, and of course some not. But it seems the DS will be more stable on unix/linux.
Jack Li